Re: Droid X Users: Beware of Froyo 2.2 Update
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Well, I'm not one to wait when a new upgrade is released.  I came from a Droid w/ custom 2.2 roms and was VERY impressed w/ 2.2 on the original.  The problem with waiting for everyone to stop complaining and finding bugs is because.....that will never happen!

One peek into this forum thread about the X then should keep any new customers from purchasing one altogether if that's the mindset you expect a consumer to have.

The other issue with a lot of complaints people have is that there is an expectation that 2.2 is as big an upgrade to this OS as Win 7 is to XP.  It's not. 2.2 is classified by ANDROID DEV and Google as  "a minor platform release including user features, developer features, API changes, and bug fixes."  2.2 is added features, tweaked UI and optimized coding to make the system run smoother and quicker.  There is a reason it is android 2.2 and not Android 3.0.

And my last issue with waiting until the boards clear up is that many of these issues are user specific based on their configuration and software and phone usage.  Many people can't recreate the same problem that others are having, but then many others can but those users cannot duplicate som other issues that are being reported.

So, I am also running 2.2 on my X and have had a good experience thus far.  I will install the official OTA but don't expect to see a difference from what i have now.

In conclusion, go ahead and wait....forever if you want.  But if you want Flash 10.1 support, a more responsive system, Apps to SD and the list does go on..then DON'T wait!

Dj.

0 Likes
zombieguy

I can't undertand why posts like this even exist. Someone is always going to complain about something. Its going from 2.1 to 2.2, its not going to be any major overhaul, its not a new OS its a minor upgrade and if anyone is expecting anything more than that then you deserve to be disappointed. I got my X, the 2nd day it came out and I am waiting for the official release and if I have to wait another 2 months I could wait, its just not tht big a deal to me. Everything gets so hyped up so much, its like New Years Eve, you wait and wait and wait and wait for midnight, the ball drops and then you go "Happy New Year" and then thats it, its just like any other night. So the update will come out and everyone will go, "kool, I got Flash now" and then thats it and then everyone goes"so when is 2.3 coming out?" and the whole process starts all over again, it never ends.

0 Likes
wulf1C
I'm new to verizon and the x is the first phone i got. I noticed some issues with wifi, gps and a few other minor bugs, no big deal with those, and im waiting on this update to see if there is an improvement on some of these issues before my 30 days is up and this will decide if i stay with the x. I get much better reception than i did with tmobile and i really like the phone. Im looking forward to the update to fix some of the issues and that's all. Flash is not a big deal for me but everyone has there reason why they want 2.2 on the x.
0 Likes
Mjnub1
My droid incredible seems to be working fine download ES Taskkiller I have been using the leaked version on dx and no issues what so ever
0 Likes
BigCTexas

Isn't that what keeps people employed and keeps commerce rolling. Involvement in evolution. Static does not lead to innovation. Anyone want to buy a Windows phone??? 

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

BigCTexas wrote:

Isn't that what keeps people employed and keeps commerce rolling. Involvement in evolution. Static does not lead to innovation. Anyone want to buy a Windows phone??? 

It definately is!  But......I like my Zune HD and am interested in Windows 7 Phone.  To be successful the first win7 phone device really needs to be a powehouse and not just a ho-hum smartphone.  Unfortunately, it probably will fail.

And to your point of roo**ng, we shouldnt have to do that to remove the junk that they install.  It's my phone, that's that.  I'm not renting it from them. 

I own it and should be allowed to do ANYTHING I want with it!  Hack it, smack it, r**t it, toot it, break it and shake it!  It's MINE!!!!!!

Dj.

0 Likes
Nate2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Android_Freak wrote:

I know it hasn't been released for X yet. But, once it is be wary of installing the update. So far, I've read several places that users of the Incredible and original Moto Droid have NOT had good experiences with the update.

As with any update anywhere (not just cell phones), make sure there is a path to get back to the previous known working version.

e.g. for PCs, there are apps like Norton Ghost, or Acronis TrueImage, that will image the *entire* PC for restoration, if necessary.

There must be a similar app for cell phones. Maybe Verizon or Motorola should provide such an app.

I would give it 5 *s :smileyhappy:

I would hate to lose my ability to make/receive phone calls properly from my Droid X just because I wanted some new web feature support, or faster graphics, etc.

And yes, I have read user comments in the market apps out there about apps that worked fine in 2.1 that don't work properly in 2.2

0 Likes