Droid X OS Upgrade
unclepauly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone else a little upset that the new Android OS isn't yet available for the Droid X that's only 3 weeks old!  I love my phone, and I'm quite happy with Verizon. But, to introduce a new phone (Droid 2) which runs the new OS is really a slap in the face, especially since the phone itself is of lesser quality than the one I'm holding.  Verizon needs to fix this situation fast!

0 Likes
Re: Droid X OS Upgrade
user46516
Enthusiast - Level 3

No clue what enhancmenets the new OS will bring so - nope, I'm not upset at all.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

No there isnt any reason to be upset about this, the other devices has been around long enough to test 2.2 on it to trouble shoot bugs, the Droid X is a new device using a modified version of Blur that programmers have to modify codes to make compatible... I perfer that the work out as many of the bugs before releasing it...  Besides other than the volume issue, I have not seen any major issues that merits a needed update, my device is working fine and I can wait.

0 Likes
LUDA
What's an OS upgrade and motorblur???
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The OS Upgrade that we are talking about is the Froyo 2.2 operating system upgrades reported to be released in September for the Droid X users, the EVO, N1, Droid and Droid 2 has recieved the Froyo already, Droid X is coming. You will recieve a notice when update is ready for download and it will download straight onto your device when you acknowledge update.

MotoBlur is a type of UI (User Interface) that Motorola uses on a number of there devices, Droid X UI is a modified version of Motoblur...

0 Likes
edwardsgroup

For one, the upgrade will allow for Adobe Flash to be installed...you know Flash...that thing that allows interactivity on practically every website created today??  The Droid 2 is shipping with Android 2.2...it JUST came out...and I have an X that is several weeks old and I don't have it.  What gives???

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

edwardsgroup wrote:

For one, the upgrade will allow for Adobe Flash to be installed...you know Flash...that thing that allows interactivity on practically every website created today??  The Droid 2 is shipping with Android 2.2...it JUST came out...and I have an X that is several weeks old and I don't have it.  What gives???

In my opinon when 2.2 gets released poeple are going to start complaining about slow web browsing because it will take longer to render flash embeded in web pages unless the pages will become optimized better for mobile flash access .  so this I can live with or without and flash will just open up possible security issues but that is just the IT side of me..

As for "What Gives", Now since Froyo 2.2 has been tested on a Moto device with the modified Motoblur, things should be on final stretch fot Droid X release...  Every device has specific codes and settings do to software, hardware and UI, until Droid 2 there wasnt any device that carried close enough features to verify compatibility for Droid X, Droid 1 has the stock Android UI with no major modification from original kernal or base codes so to get a working version of 2.2 on it was much easier than a device that recieved a number of revisions throughout the system, making software compatible isnt as simple as flipping a switch. Would be nice if it was :smileywink:

0 Likes
LUDA
Thanks for answering my question wildman : )
0 Likes
GeekGuy

edwardsgroup wrote:

This upgrade was stated to be available late summer.  It was announced the same day that the Droid X was announced on June 23.  Summer last until September 21.    Getting the upgrade in September is exactly what they said.

0 Likes
raroberts
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, I'm not upset at all.

0 Likes