Droid X Contacts Problem
Mr-D
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem has to do with Contacts being displayed consistently between the various APS that use them. These all worked fine and as expected until I shut down the phone.  The problem started and remains after turning the phone back on.  All my contacts were synced from my BlackBerry Tour by a Verizon Wireless technician at the time of the Driod X purchase.

Examples of the problems I having are:

Only a few contacts (mostly the defaults contacts I believe) are displayed when I launch the Contacts app.  All Contacts was selected by default, and changing the selection to Favorites or Phone Contacts both came up empty.  But when I press the Phone icon to make a call, and touch to display contacts, all my contacts are displayed correctly as Phone Contacts.

The same problem exists attempting to select a Contact to Text.  It show my previous contacts that I text with.  When I try to bring up my Contacts to text someone else the same few Contacts are displayed and not my Phone Contacts.

Does anyone else have this same problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid X Contacts Problem
Mr-D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well for those of us that are having this problem, I just got my problem, well, not exactly solved but a work around was put in place in my view.

This will take a call to Verizon Wireless Support, and get to the 3rd tier support person (they call them internal).

They will activate the previous phone you had before the droid (mine was the blackberry tour).

Using Backup Assistant your contacts will get uploaded to a Verizon server.

Then he will switch active phone back to the droid, while you login into Verizon Wireless, and go to the home page.

Above the picture of your current  phone you will find a contacts link (the support person will walk you through it.)

I had to change the view to list the contacts as opposed to the default view.

Then export the contacts from there in ,csv format and save to your desktop.

Log into GMail, click contacts, browse to the file on your desktop, and GMail will import them rather quickly.

Shortly after that your Droid will be automatically updated (The Droid syncs with Gmail realtime)

I call this a work around because the contacts application will show my contacts when "all contacts" is selected, but the default numbers still when Phone Contacts are selected.  But at least my contacts are available to all applications now.

If you have never run backup assistant before that alone can be used.  We couldn't get it to sync with my phone that way so we went the Gmail route.

Good luck to you all, and hope this if corrected in the next OS update!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
barcode32

I have the same problem, as I had my contacts list transferred from my old (busted screen) phone to the new Droid X.  I can still get to the contacts with the icon for contact search, which I believe is one or two screens to the right of the home screen as a default.  I would like to get rid of the contact search icon and just use the contact button, but I am not sure how to merge the two together (or how they would even be separate).

My situation is very similar if not exactly the same.  I can find all of my transferred contacts (from my old phone) in contact search, but not in just the contacts (which have all the basic verizon numbers and "me").  I want to put the transferred contacts from the contact search to contacts without having to do everything manually, is this possible?

0 Likes
Iria

I have the same problem.  What I noticed is that those contacts that are showing on the device are in my Gmail's My Contacts group. 

If you go into All Contacts group in gmail, you can check the ones you want to display on the device and then click "Move to My Contacts."  I tried it, that works.

0 Likes
barcode32

Didn't work for me.  But my contacts aren't in anywhere (including gmail account because I created a new one with the phone) except searching my contacts.  I don't want to search contacts constantly to find people, but rather just go into contacts.

0 Likes
Mr-D
Enthusiast - Level 2

It sounds like Barcode and I are having the same exact problem.  I have to believe many others are as well.  If you are please speak up so maybe we can the attention of Verizon or the Google OS support.  This is a major frustration to say the least!

0 Likes
Mr-D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the input, but how are Security Applications like virus protection and backups supposed to fix an Android OS issue?  I would like to have this problem fixed without relying on 3rd part software.  The OS Software is the base from which everything else runs, and if it's buggy what can you expect from apps that run on top of it?

0 Likes
Iria

I noticed that if I went into the Phone app and clicked on the contacts tab there I see all my contacts.  Weird.  I believe this is probably some Blur-foolishness.

0 Likes
Iria

Mr-D wrote:

Thank you for the input, but how are Security Applications like virus protection and backups supposed to fix an Android OS issue?  I would like to have this problem fixed without relying on 3rd part software.  The OS Software is the base from which everything else runs, and if it's buggy what can you expect from apps that run on top of it?

it's call spamming the thread ... :smileymad:

0 Likes
AZDiver

I had all my contacts imported over via a BB Bold at the store on Friday.  Then after setting up FB it took over ALL my contacts, so I removed it on Sat. and it took ALL contacts with it.  So, yesterday I went back to the store and they re-imported them for me.  There are still problems with the Contacts App though, I am unable to access them when trying to make a phone call and pressing the Contact tab at the top.  We did find out that there are 4 different parts to the Contacts via the Views.  Mine are currently stored under Google and I want them under the Phone and I'm unable to change them as of today.  It looks like we are all in the same boat here! 

0 Likes
Mr-D
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I do think that we are all in the same boat here!  I think Google has to rethink how it handles contacts, and fix this frustrating problem.  Contacts on phone should be based on the phone, and not Gmail or anything else.  I've never had a problem with contacts on any other phone before in my life!

There was someone who posted they do not have the same problem. My problem started after I powered down the phone I believe.  All contact was proper and available when I took the phone out of the store.  

I also would like it if we could post the Droid model number and OS version so we can be sure we are all talking about the device setup.

I have:

Driod X

System Version 1.13.516.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Firmware 2.1-update1

Kernel version 2.6.29

Build number VZW

I am not sure what other information is pertinent.

Thank you for all the input!!!

0 Likes