Re: Droid Incredible OS update question
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

TonyRomo wrote:

mikerang94 wrote:

Dude I only bring it up because its a legitimate concern.  Do possible incredible users want to be in the same boat as the Eris users.   I would link where the reviews I read it from but I don't feel like going back and reading through them again.  Trust me read some reviews and you will see the reviewer make mention of the possibility of not being able to update the OS from 2.1 if the situation arises.  And as I mentioned before I called Verizon on it and they would neither confirm nor deny the issue, they basically danced around the subject with me.  It's disappointing because I prerecorded the incredible as well and have high hopes for this phone.  I just pray it doesn't become craptastic like the eris  

If you can not support your reads I do not believe you!!!!!

Yeah Mikerang94, sorry but you got me interested so I went out last night while I was bored at the hotel and looked up a bunch of reviews about the Incredible and didn't find a single one that said that. I did, however, find some terribly poorly written reviews at some very big sites (MSNBC = EPIC Fail). Makes you wonder what sort of quality standards they have for their writers. At any rate, that's neither here nor there, just an observation.

I could see that some might be concerned because of the HTS Eris update situation and that's understandable, but to get too worried about it at this point is just adding worry and stress to yourself without real cause for it. Like the others on this site have said numerous times - when you purchase the phone, assume you are purchasing it as-is. Do not assume that anything else is coming down the pipe for you, even if the rep says it is. Hopefully by now, everyone here has learned that lesson. If it does, cool, but otherwise just take the phone as it is and enjoy it. You've read the reviews, you've made a decision to purchase it. Obviously it appeals to you in its current state. If you're going to be that worried about it then maybe you're better off waiting and seeing if it updates on the next cycle. No disrespect intended, really, but you see the thoughts about the Eris all over this board so don't put yourself in that boat (again if you already have an Eris). Personally, I knew all about the anger with HTC from these users and still went out and bought 2 Eris' for my wife and daughter anyway. I figure they'll be fine for them and will be a great introduction to the real world of smartphones. They aren't going to care about an upgrade, but if they get one, they'll be even more pleased. I know their attitudes don't reflect the attitudes of many on this forum, but just try to relax.

Good luck in your decision.

0 Likes
carter91
Enthusiast - Level 3

Google is going to continue to develop Android, so of course there are going to be Android OS upgrades in the future.  Will the Incrediable get these?  Only time will tell. Right now, it has the latest and greatest on it and thats all you can ask for as a new phone. 

0 Likes
okie75

I agree with mike, the history on updating the Android with sense UI is ugly. I would worry that they won't push the latest update for the Incredible when the next HTC phone is coming out in a few months,( just going off of November to now) either the 2.1 is going to be lackluster because of integrating the sense ui or VZW is holding up the Eris OTA to push the Incredible sales, either way it is a concern. With Apple you know there will probably be a new iPhone every year, but they update them all to the latest software possible, trimming options and new programs as they need to. Heck, I'd take 1.6 or 2.0 for my Eris, 1.5 is OK, but knowing there is another update out there and not having it makes gadget fiends like me disappointed. I know live wall papers and Google Earth won't work on the Eris, thats been stated by HTC, but there are plenty more improvements I would hopefully see, battery life, nav, etc.

0 Likes
nonie3234
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's the latest thing I've read about "Froyo", it doesn't mention the Incredible:

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/04/21/google-getting-ready-to-dish-out-some-froyo/

0 Likes
Anev

y0diggity wrote:
Seriously?? This must be a record. It's not even released yet and there are already complaints about its update. Sorry. I agree that its a valid concern, it's just funny to me for some reason. I've not read those reviews that mention that fact. Could you possibly link to some if them? Ive already preordered mine so i'd be interested in seeing that info as well.

HAHAHA...that's funny!  It's called getting a reputation.  Verizon has earned it's reputation and seems proud to be lacking in its ability to provide timely and professional updates to its users.  I have the Incredible on pre-order and my soon to be previous phone was a Windows Mobile.  I never had to deal with updates from Verizon but it was (and still is) a big concern of mine in seeing Verizon's tarnished and battered pattern to release phones and updates in a timely manner.

I'm not worried about my new HTC Incredible working or being the phone I'll fall in love with.  I'm VERY worried that I've locked myself in to a nightmare of waiting for updates and forced to use buggy features EVEN THOUGH an update fixing them may be released BUT not to Verizon users.  That is called a reputation and why people start asking the questions now not later.

0 Likes
mikerang94

Yodiggity,

We must be reading different reviews for this phone I know there is tons of reviews out there.  But I know what I read and I have great eyesight. More than a few of the reviews stated the fact that the incredible may be stuck with OS 2.1.  Lets face it we all know the OS is going to be upgraded from 2.1 in the near future its just the way it is.  Now I hear people saying " Well your buying a phone as is", "Be happy its 2.1 and the latest and greatest" etc.. but come on  you know as well as I do that if an OS upgrade came to be and the incredible didn't get it, that we ALL would be on these forums whining and crying about it.  Even those that say they wouldn't.  Again I preordered the incredible as well and it going to be an awesome phone but I do believe Verizon owes its customers the upgrades to OS regardless of the phone and it should be stated in the contracts we sign.  It's not easy to fork over your hard earned money to these companies and get **bleep** on time after time. 

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

kenc3dan wrote:

The Droid Incredible will NOT be able to do handsfree Bluetooth voice dialing.  I called Verizon customer service and received confirmation via email and voicemail.  The Devour has it and so do the non-U.S. versions of the Droid.  Looks like Verizon has dropped the ball on the whole safety and legality thing for it's very best Android phones.  Hope they own up and fix it soon but it's well documented since 2008 and they haven't dont anything yet.

Where have you seen an android with bluetooth dialing that works? Please post links. Not trying argue, but would like a site that says it has bluetooth voice dialing.
0 Likes
kenc3dan

http://androidforums.com/motorola-milestone/61672-milestone-2-1-bluetooth-voice-dialing.html

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/146361

Canadians on Telus with the Milestone (Droid) running 2.1 can do Bluetooth voice dialing as can Verizon folks with the Devour.  I tried it out right there in the Verizon store on the Devour and it worked great.

I don't know what the holdup is for Droid users but if it says "Droid" - regular or Incredible - then it DOESN'T do Bluetooth voice dialing.  Weak.

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3
Awesome, thank you for the links. I hadn't seen any saying it was working. I did find one that says you can go in and activate it on th ephone, But I have to find it again. Not sure where it was talking about going to do it though either.
0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

Hey don't get me wrong here Mike, I'm all for getting the updates, and I really do understand the frustration with the HTC/Verizon upgrade track record. But I stand by my statement that I go into my phone purchases with an "as-is" attitude. I love getting the upgrades, they really do make me happy, same as you, but I don't think that they are obligated to provide them to us. Should the upgrade guarantee be written into the contract? That would be awesome, but it ain't gonna happen. And until it does, we're at the mercy of developers, manufacturers and service providers to get those to us as they see fit/profitable to do so. I don't think that your post or concern is invalid, it's just that after reading all of the plethora of topics about the Eris update, it struck me as funny that there was already one started for a phone that hasn't even been released yet.

I'm definitely hopeful that there will be at least one update at some point for the Incredible, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it. Maybe it'll end up like the Eris, where a leaked version turns up and I have to go that route, who knows? I'm just hoping that the phone doesn't come with issues out of the box.That's what makes me mad - buying something that just comes pre-broken. As long as it works as advertised, I'll be generally content with it.

0 Likes