Droid Incredible Camera locks up when taking pictures
Rawthor

I marked a previous post solved and right after that the same error occurred.

Factory reset did not fix the problem.

It happened after i adjusted the camera settings such as white balance and sharpness and turned the MP down to 5.

The pattern isn't as consistent as to when it locks up but its the same problem. I have to hit the home key repeatedly to get back to the main screen, open the camera again and its just a black screen so i have to close it again and then open it.

This is really getting old. 

XDA thread on the same issue

0 Likes
Re: Droid Incredible Camera locks up when taking pictures
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

In this case, I suggest that you try setting the camera settings back to the default settings that originally established when you first received the phone. You can do this by following these steps:

-On the Viewfinder screen, tap to open the menu panel.

-Tap in the menu panel to display the Settings menu and access more camera settings.

-Once you have the camera settings displayed, choose the Reset to default option.Tap to change the camera back to default settings.

I hope this will resolve your issue.

0 Likes
Rawthor

Did that. I changed the settings only after trying the hard reset and still getting the error. I think the bar-code scanner i uninstalled may have been a factor.

I'm still testing to try and recreate the error..

0 Likes
DaveGL

Nothing seems to help this issue. I have tried reseting the camera settings to default many times, have done 2 hard resets, no barcode scanner installed...no apps installed at all from market.  Nothing seems to fix it.  What is happening? I want to take this phone in and get a replacement. 

0 Likes
Rawthor

Still getting the lockup error.

0 Likes
Xandlyn

Something I read somewhere on a forum that kind of works is changing where you save your photos to your memory card.

Open your camera

Hit the > key

Go to Settings

Hit Storage

Click on Storage card

Then restart your phone. I've barely had any lock ups with my camera since then.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Don't return the phone. I'm willing to bet its a software issue. I posted this thread before and nobody replied. My issue is the zoom. I tried the factory setting with the highest level resolution, set the zoom all the way to full, and I bet you won't get past a few photos without the camera function disappearing giving you a sideways homescreen. I understand its a software thing. So I hear on many websites.
0 Likes
marklaing

Having the same issue.  Factory techs suggest soft boot - doesn't do anything.  And I'm loathe to try the hard (eviscerate everything method) since it sounds from the posts here that it won't help much anyway.

I've uninstalled all third party apps so it works for a few hours then Motorola Droid camera app locks up again.  Very frustrating.

0 Likes
marklaing

Please elaborate - I can't quite follow here.

0 Likes
w-in-ark

I have been having trouble with my Droid locking up for a couple of months now and it kept getting worse until I was having to reboot it 4 - 6 times per day.  Besides the lockups, it also seemed to work very SLOW with almost everything I used.  I was desperate to try anything, so I had decided to do a factory default and start over.  

The day before I was going to do that, I FINALLY found out what the problem had been all along.  I had taken a picture and it locked up.  When I rebooted, it came up with a "SD card is damaged" message and could not mount the card.  I tried rebooting several times.

I put the SD card into my computer and it could not read it also and said that I needed to format it.  I took it out and re-inserted it several times until it finally recognized it and allowed me to access it.  I immediately copied everything on the card to a folder on my computer.  I then put in a new SD card (same brand and size) and copied everything in the folder to the new card.  Then I put the new card into my Droid.

It has ran much faster and the best since I had my phone with zero lockups or reboots, and I haven't even turned it off in weeks.  I'm loving it now.  It was all because of a defective SD memory card, or at least some bad sectors on it.

This may not solve everyone's lockup issues, but it solved mine.  I have around 90 apps added to my phone and I'm using over 10 GB of space on my SD card, so I don't imagine a lot of people have a worse case than I have.  I hope this helps!  Good luck!

0 Likes