Droid DOES crack easily...
jrkroeg
Enthusiast - Level 2

So... I waited for this phone for over a month because of the backorder.  I even had my backorder backordered another 7 days!

I am not going to sit here and deny that the Incredible is an amazing phone... on the inside.  Honestly, it's a beast.  The battery life blows, but that's understandable because of all the resource-demanding apps that I run.

Anyways, back to my story line... I go to charge this phone, I lift it off the table and unplug the miniUSB, and the compact Incredible device slips out of my hands and hits the floor.  Maybe I was being TOO gentle with my phone, I don't know.  But this was a VERY short fall... I'm talking 3-4 ft. at best.  Phones are dropped ALL OF THE TIME, and even more so after people have them for long periods and get too comfortable with them.  I'm not denying its my fault that I dropped the phone... but seriously... this phone is INCREDIBLY fragile.  Too fragile for how INCREDIBLE they make it seem to be.

I also am an advocate of always having a case on your phone... I even went as far as buying the screen protectors to ensure I kept this device from scratches, etc.  I had the case and screen protectors on the phone when it hit the ground.

The device now has about 20 little cracks filling the upper right corner of the phone.

I have never seen a phone break so easily...

Yea, I have insurance on the phone... and although, I am thankful I can get a brand new phone for $89, I am not a fan of having to get an entirely new phone over a screen crack.

DOES Droid do screen replacements?  It seems to do everything else, including breaking the first time you drop it.

Thanks for any feedback.

0 Likes
Re: Droid DOES crack easily...
jrkroeg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thought I'd include a link to what my phone looks like....

Apparently, this wasn't some phenomena... other people recognized just how overly fragile this phone is too.

My phone is just the upper right corner, so this guy has it a bit worse than I do...

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/27/quick-tip-dont-drop-your-droid-incredible/

Ugh...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

that blows!!! however, i think it's like any other phone....dumb luck as to whether or not it breaks. i've dropped mine twice (once on cement and once on porceline tile, from about 4 feet....my 3 year old actually ropped it from the table the second time). i use a plastic snap on case (which i'm not a fan of). both times the case popped apart and flew a couple ffet from the phone, but only a tiny scratch remains on the actual device. i dropped an old flip phone (samsung) a few years ago on cement (from 3 or 4 feet) and it looked like it had been shot at close range!!!

0 Likes
jrkroeg
Enthusiast - Level 2

The crack appears to be only on the external plastic that is covering the LCD screen itself.  I have to imagine this can be replaced for relatively cheap...

Anyone have ideas?  I know IPhone has screen replacements.

I can only assume this will be offered for the Incredible, as well.

0 Likes
judi24ever

OMG, I'm having the same problem.  I was called by VZ every other day from January until May to upgrade to the best phone ever, according to them.  I had been waiting for VZ to FINALLY get the iPhone after 3 years.  I finally gave in in May and ordered it.  I waited 6 weeks for it and also got another 7 day delay.  I finally received the phone and it is a great phone.  I've had it for 11 days today and I too dropped it less than 3 feet onto plush wall to wall carpet (the absolute first fall).  The phone fell face up and hit nothing else.  I picked it up to find the screen totally distorted.   bought the suggested ruggedized cover and the screen protectors.  I can't even use the telephone feature b/c I can't see the screen to dial the number.

I called VZ as soon as I got to work to be told in no uncertain terms that they are not going to stand behind it.  That they shouldn't be responsible for my dropping it.  I agreed that it wasn't their fault that I dropped it, but it should certainly be made better then that.  The phone is 11 days old and fell less than 3 feet onto carpeting.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor, Leon Bennett, I was told by him also that they would do NOTHING.  I asked what my options were and he told me "not much."  Now I've been a VZ customer for almost 20 years.  I have NEVER had a problem with a phone.  Never made a claim or returned a phone.  I am not a child, I know how to take care of a phone.  I understand this is an electronic device (as I was told).  But let's remember, it's a PORTABLE PHONE, not a piece of crystal.  When things are portable, they can fall.  When you spend more than $300 for a phone, I certainly expect it to last more than 11 days.  I CERTAINLY expect "America's Most Reliable Network" to stand behind the products they are pushing on people.  I now have a useless phone and am ready to pay the early termination fees to switch to AT&T.  I have 4 phones on this account and I am ready to cancel all of them.  I think this is outrageous on VZ's part.  And if they don't want to stand behind it, they should certainly make HTC stand behind it. 

I would not recommend this flimsy phone to anyone.  Save your money. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

judi.....i've been with vzn for 10 years and doubt i'd ever switch. but if you dropped it on carpet and they eran't willing to do anything, then that may just be enough to make me leave as well. i would try going into a store near you. try a couple different ones. i can't believe they'd let you leave and take 4 lines over giving you a new phone. i assume you don't have the insurance on the phone?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Judi, what do you mean by, "The screen is distorted"?  Is the screen cracked? Or is the display just ..... I dont know, lack of a better word, garbled?

0 Likes
aaronc29

hey well if u only had ur phone for 11 days then u can always add insurance as long as its within the first 30 days , and 24 hours after that ur insurance should be active....so this is ur best bet.....i recently had a my incredible stolen and when i called verizon they told me i had no insurance "witch i did", but someoneon there end removed it from the account at somepoint, anyways the rep told me because my phone was with in the 3 she could add the insurance and i call the insurance the next day to file the claim, so i dont know y that wasnt an option for u, altough u do have to pay for the 89$ deductable its better than being out of a phone

0 Likes
Ejanks

My Droids camera lens cracked.

Just a wee bit.. not enough to affect the cameras field of view but, its a shame that it happened.

I dropped the phone from a substantial height, about six feet. (bunk bed..)

Funny- people write of their screen cracking from three or four feet. my screen is tip top.

(I do have a screen protector on the phone, maybe that added some stregnth or structure to the screen. I HIGHLY recomend screen protectors!)

Its obvious that the camera lens is a removeable part- does anyone know, should i contact HTC about getting a replacement lens or, verizon? I wouldnt want to use the warranty. its like a 90$ fee. 

0 Likes
Trisith

Same as Ejanks.. Oddly enough, after I read a similar post and I was texting.. my friend scared me and I threw my phone up a bit and it hit the floor (was a rather hard surface...) Zero cracks. Luckily, not even the camera part cracked.. (Whew!)

Don't have a quality screen protector?! Your problem. Get one.  These phones aren't your old flip phones, EnV touches, dah-dah.. You actually have to give them a little protection... And why not?  It's like a whole $10 max at Best Buy for that screen protector and if you're sweet.. They might install it for you, free.

And Ejanks, I would maybe contact  HTC first, just to see if you can by chance get a free replacement lens (Let's hope!!!) If not.. I'd just have Verizon do it since they can probably do it right then and there within the store and you have it back within the same day... Given they have that part.

0 Likes