Droid Charge replacement is having the EXACT SAME ISSUES. Why hasn't Verizon voluntarily replaced them??
mrsbullfrog
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two Droid Charges (mine and my husband's) and mine had issues such as randomly restarting itself, freezing at any given moment, randomly deleting my text messages and call logs, getting extremely hot, running ridiculously slow and dropping calls when I've been in the same place that I supposedly had 4G service. Verizon replaced my first one after the hard reset didn't work, but the REPLACEMENT is doing the same thing. My husband is having the same issues as well, but due to my replacement working just as good as the other one, he's given up and won't even try to remedy this problem. I'm so absolutely fed up with both phones that I don't even want to call Verizon to get my replacement replaced because I know they'll just give me another piece of crap Droid Charge. Why doesn't Verizon just recall the Droid Charge completely and give the customers with that crappy phone one that ACTUALLY works?? Especially after seeing how common these problems are with this phone!! I'm so frustrated that I want to smash the damn thing into little bits rather than use it. I have never dropped my phone or got it wet. I have a sturdy protective case on it (and my husbands) just to be on the safe side, but still haven't done anything to it or had anything happen to cause it to be this low quality of a "smartphone". We've only had these phones for six months. Does anybody have any suggestions to get these two monstrosities replaced for good??

Re: Droid Charge replacement is having the EXACT SAME ISSUES. Why hasn't Verizon voluntarily replaced them??
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Occasionally you hear of someone getting a different model as a replacement, but those are few and far between. Your best bet is to call customer service as soon as issues present themselves and maybe, eventually, you'll be able to talk them into something different.

Re: Droid Charge replacement is having the EXACT SAME ISSUES. Why hasn't Verizon voluntarily replaced them??
aliwilliams
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow, I would love to call customer service but now the phone wont even makes calls!!!  I have been a good Verizon customer for over 10 years but I am done!!  My DROID Charge has been a piece since the day I got it but I am always told to take the battery out -blah blah blah...-why cant the thing just work like a $250.00 phone should work?  Tonight was the final straw,,,I was stuck in traffic on my way home (Boston area in case anyone else experienced failure with Verizon today) and I desperately needed to call my husband and my son's after school program because I was stuck in traffic.  I picked up my phone and I noticed it said it 12:07 am January 2005?  WTF?  I am sure it was something I DID <eye roll>.I was typing texts to my husband and they would disappear when I hit send.  I tried calling but it said I had no service (my bill is more than paid) .I restarted and  nothing changed so I manually reset the date and time (the traffic was moving slow enough to do this but it was still dangerous)..when my texts would send (supposedly..but I know now my husband didn't get them) I wasn't getting any response and I know I wasn't being ignored. Text-NADA..phone calls (the one thing a cell phone is supposed to actually do!!)-NADA. I cant call him to get my son, I cant call the after care program to explain I am going  to be late...I cant do ANYTHING!!  I am so sick of this phone.  I loved my Motorola Droid (1st one that came out) but this has been a straight up nightmare and I am so tired of the runaround with Verizon.  I still don't know what is wrong with the phone but I am hoping my husband can figure it out and we are cancelling my daughters line in February, the other 3 lines in June and we are done.  It sucks we have to wait so long and I am embarrassed to admit what I pay Verizon each month for the privilege of crap service.  I will just get a T-Mobile phone and at least i wont pay out the nose for terrible service.  My coworkers have all switched and they are happy and their service is fine...go figure..,

Frustrated in Boston!!

Alison

Re: Droid Charge replacement is having the EXACT SAME ISSUES. Why hasn't Verizon voluntarily replace them??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mrsbullfrog, thanks for posting. Are you still having issues with the device? How long have you had the device? Please give us your troubleshooting steps so we can determine what steps we need to take next.^SP

0 Likes
Re: Droid Charge replacement is having the EXACT SAME ISSUES. Why hasn't Verizon voluntarily replace them??
mrsbullfrog
Enthusiast - Level 2

We initially got the phones at the end of May 2012. I've had the replacement for a little more than a month. I have to take the battery out at least 3 times a week due to it freezing. Plus all of the previous issues. I've done hard resets, taken the battery out and put it back in, it dies occasionally while connected to the Verizon charger that came with it, drops calls all the time even when I'm standing in the same place and have 4G coverage...the list goes on. I'm sick of this phone, but my only option is to wait out the 2 year contract before I can get a different one because I absolutely refuse to have this one replaced with yet another Droid Charge or be downgraded. I would love to get the Galaxy S3, but I'm not paying full price for 2. (My husband's needs to be replaced due to the same problems) A Verizon employee told me that all of these issues are known issues. Feel free to email me if you have a different solution.

kj1060
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everyone's best bet for getting customer service from Verizon is to keep contacting them when you get issues and keep taking the replacements. If the replacements continue to have the EXACT same issues that the previous ones did then they are likely to try and get off that phone.

It is a wonder that Verizon was ranked number one by Consumer Reports for Customer Service when most of mine and other's dealings with their Customer Service Department have been terrible.

I personally can't wait until my contract is up with Verizon. I am heading to one of the carriers with pay as you go option.

perkijl
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is an amazing thread, I thought I was alone in this battle with my Droid Charge. I got it in Sept 2011 and initially it was a good phone but now it's gotten to where it's mostly a paper weight. It resets itself periodically, the battery drains in half a day in my pocket, 50% of the time it won't connect either 4g or wifi and requires a restart to get any kind of network access. Sometimes when you click the phone icon to make a phone call it takes 2-3 minutes before the dialer comes up. I called support a couple of times and was told that the work-around was to power it off/on whenever I had a problem, of course now they've stalled past my warranty so I'm stuck. This is my first smartphone and it may well be my last! The last time I talked to support they said the first troubleshooting step would be to perform a factory reset, I backed up all my data, performed the factory reset, reloaded everything and it's still crap! I will try to suffer through until my contract expires and will move on, not at all happy with Verizon customer support!!

mtony8861
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received a replacement, and it is worst then the first one I had. I want a different phone and thats it!!!!!

0 Likes
GoldenK9

Smiley Happy I just got my Samsung Charge about 6 months or so ago.  I can understand folks having problems, that goes with any

electronic item anymore.  Does the word "China" on everything we buy these days mean anything to anybody?  When our

elected officials decide to work for the people that voted them into office, instead of for themselves, maybe, just maybe,

things would change.  They have to!!

So far, my Charge has been great.  Only one minor problem.  The battery seemed to go flat overnight, even without using

the phone, or even turning it on.  The Verizon Store, or Best Buy (I can't remember which), said to try the battery first.  The

original Samsung Battery was 1600 mAh.  The replacement is a Lenmar Samsung replacement, at only 1300 mAh and

seems to be just fine.  At a followup visit to my Verizon Store (for sure), one of the reps told me to make sure that the

WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS are turned off when not in use.  Also check the Task Manager to make sure there are no programs

running before powering off.  Both of these suggestions have worked flawlessly for battery life extension, and now I am even

using the original battery with no problems.  So now I have a spare battery, just in case.

As for Verizon, and its Customer Service, I have been with them since 1994 (PacBell Wireless ?) and have never had an

issue with them.  I find them very helpful and courteous to me all of the time, either at their store or on the phone.

Sorry all of you are having these problems.  I, for one, am not, and wouldn't use any other wireless provider.

0 Likes
jimbosays
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problems & More Problems . . . Both with the Droid Charge phone unit (my second one - a replacement) and the VZW customer no-service. Even after VZW graciously provided a second phone unit, the same problems discussed across this entire forum are still prevalent and all VZW customer no-service can provide is a proverbial "shrug" - And try to sell a me a new phone (before my current contract is expired!)

I truly do not believe Droid Charge hardware to be defective (in my case anyway), but rather some type of operating system software deviation.

Can't wait for my contracts to expire . . . This company will not get another from me.

0 Likes