Highlighted

Droid Charge - numerous issues

Member

My wife and I both switched from AT&T iPhones to Verizon Charges about 2 months ago.  While some things, such as coverage, have generally improved for me, we've both encountered numerous issues overall.  Here's the list of the most frequent and specific issues we've found:

 

 - Speaker phone mode defaults to on when picking up a call.  This is perhaps the most inexplicable one, since I've never seen nor heard of a setting to make this happen.

- Random reboots  

- Soft crash when exiting Browser and Google Maps

- Random loss of 4G, then able to restore while in the same location by toggling mobile data

- Poor battery life even with extended battery

- Very slow to open bigger apps such as Touchdown

- Extremely slow to list apps when adding a new shortcut to the home screen with LauncherPro

- Multiple "Media Scanner Running" notifications after rebooting; including this time, where everything else is unusably slow, the reboot takes about 5 minutes

- Random missed text messages

- Random loss of Bluetooth connection (ex: Hyundai Sonata)

- Random brightness drop even with auto brightness disabled

- GPS takes a long time to acquire, when other GPS devices in the same location are working

- Often locks up in camera mode, battery needs to be taken out to reset

 

I have an Asus tablet as well with many of the same apps installed, and I don't encounter anything close to this number of issues.  For example, Touchdown is perfectly responsive on the tablet, slow on the phone.  So I don't think this is an Android problem, but a device problem.  I've also seen many posts from people having some of the same issues, without much as far as resolutions other than "deal with it" or "work around it".  Anyone have ideas on what we can do to make this phone work better?

 

Thanks in advance,

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Droid Charge - numerous issues

Novice

it seems that all of these issues could be connected to your signal strength.  if your device is constantly switching between 3G/4G, this will cause an immense strain on your battery, and thus significantly reduce the overall performance of the device.

 

I would recommend getting the Juice Defender app and/or keeping your phone set on 3G (under settings -> Wireless & Network -> mobile networks - > system selection -> CMDA mode) to see how well it performs.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Droid Charge - numerous issues

Novice

Don't use JuiceDefender on Froyo, it'll make things worse when it comes to connectivity issues.  Gingerbread will be coming soon that will allow proper use of JuiceDefender.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Droid Charge - numerous issues

Member

I am there with you on all these issue with the Charge.  I love this phone, but by the time my contract is up I will be hating it if they don't fix all these issues.  I've had this phone since May 2011 and already exchanged it three times. 

 

the biggest issue is the bluetooth headset.  Randomly out of nowhere the phone will not recognize the headset, however yet when you look the settings it says it's still connected, but just try to make a call using the headset.  If I try to disconnect it, or unpair it, the phone stays in disconnect/unpair mode until I take the batter out.  I let it sit in that mode one day to see if it would ever correct itself...you guessed it.  I had to take the battery out.

 

My newest phone come to the house three days ago.  Right out of the box it had the same issues.  SO...Verizon if you are reading this I want a new phone, a different Droid phone w/o any restocking fees or other garbage.  Samsung should recall all these phones until they can get the mulitude of issue worked out.  I hate being a lab rat for new technology

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Droid Charge - numerous issues

Novice

When I have the same BT issues you mention I uncheck the check box next the Bluetooth in the BT settings sub-menu.  It takes about 30 seconds to completely un-check.  Next I check it again, then reconnect my headset.  This works 90% of the time.  The other 10% requires a restart, but I have not had to remove the battery.  This happens at least a couple times a week with no real pattern.  

 

The other issue I have is that sometimes the BT will drop off mid-call.  The person on the other end can still hear you through the phone mic, but you can't hear because the BT turned off.  The arrows will still show next to the BT symbol at the top, but the BT button on the phone screen will un-select itself and you cannot re-select it.

 

 

0 Likes
Covid19