Re: Droid Charge is dropping 4G and going to 3G all the time
manescu

I live in the San Diego, Ca. area. I primarily have been using either my home or work Wi-Fi, but I was out and about today and noticed that I was not only dropping 4G, but 3G as well. I although the coverage map shows 4G throughout my area, I have am disappointed to see no connectivity.

0 Likes
ballanda
Enthusiast - Level 2

So far we can't even get VZW to acknowledge that there is a problem. All they did was give us an impossibly long homework assignment to diagnose the issue when they are the ones who should be testing this themselves. I'm keeping these 3G/4G threads going until sombody at VZW acknowledges that there is a problem and that they are working hard to diagnose and fix it themselves. It's not hard to reproduce.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Community-

We did realize the fluctuation between 3G, 4G and no service was an issue. We also understand how frustrating it must be.

The great news is that Samsung did release a software update to resolve this issue effective June 8,2011.

If you have not updated the version on your device, please click on the link below for instructions.

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/charge.html

Thanks!

0 Likes
shellyterrio

One of my friends swapped her phone 2 or 3 times due to this issue. Please advise of the correct link as this one isn't working and I'm trying to assist not tech-savvy friend. I believe her next step is that VZ agreed to give her a different phone but I'd like to see if this resolution will work first.

Thanks!

0 Likes
imws

This was the case with this phone when I bought it in June 2011 and now March 2012 it is still the case.  The phone will stay on 4G for about 5 - 10 mins and then it will stop transferring data and then ultimately it will kick into 3G.  It is the biggest piece of junk that Verizon and Samsung has thrown at its customers.  I also have the Pantech 4G USB modem from Verizon and that thing stays on 4G for hours sometimes all day when I'm using it.

Update:  I guess I will eat crow on this one.  I had lots of trouble on Friday at Atlanta Airport at Gate B13 with my Droid Charge and 4G LTE, not sure why but it the performance was typical of what I've been experiencing with this phone since I got it, and that is it will work on 4G for about 10 mins and then stop transmitting data all of a sudden.  To get it going again, I'll toggle it into and out of airplane mode.  I decided to try out the mobile hot spot feature of the phone today.  For $30 dollars a month I signed up to turn on the mobile hot spot feature on the Droid Charge and I'm really impressed.  I've been connected to the hot spot from my MacBook all day and I have tried browsing and netflix and the hot spot has been steady on 4G all day.  No issues and I'm very impressed how well it works.  So good job Verizon and Samsung, the mobile hot spot feature works like it should.

0 Likes
tuckgergg

I have the Droid Razr Maxx and live in Pittsburgh. I frequently will have 4GLTE connectivity on my phone until I try to do something, then it defaults to 3G which takes about 45 seconds. Also, the 3G in Pittsburgh is terrible. The speed is usually equivalent to dial up internet (I've run speed tests). It's the entire reason I got a 4GLTE phone in the first place. I have unlimited data, and many of my friends that have limited data plans do not have any issues with their phones switching to 3G.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey tuckgergg!

Dropping signal is not fun, no matter what phone you have. Let me ask a few questions to see what we can do about your device. You said that when you start to do something, it will drop from 4G to 3G; what are you trying to do? Is it possible that this is the way you are holding the phone, covering the entire antenna that the signal will drop? Also do you have any battery saver or task killer applications on your device? They may negatively affect the device's performance. Please uninstall any of them that you may have. We want you to have the best service possible and 4G LTE with VZW is just that! Let us know!

MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
tuckgergg

Yes, when I start to do just about anything involving a data connection (email, surfing the internet, updating apps, checking facebook/twitter, etc), it usually drops from 4G to 3G, but only when I'm in downtown Pittsburgh. I wanted to say, also, that I have been pulling some later hours in the office, recently, and after normal business hours (9 - 5) I tend to lose the 4G less often, but it is still happening. Regarding covering the antenna, I have tried holding the phone every way I can think of, but it doesn't have any affect. I do not have any battery saver / task killer applications on my device. I appreciate you following up. Thanks.

0 Likes
DPOPNYC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same problem. The issue is pronounced during 9-5 in midtown NYC but it happens all the time. I used to have flawless 4G reception. Past few months have been unbearable.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@tuckgergg,

Let's get to the bottom of this!

Try removing the SIM card for a minute or two. Insert the SIM card and retest. This will help refresh the data connection. I suggest doing this a few times a week to help with the connectivity.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes