Droid Charge is dropping 4G and going to 3G all the time
FAUguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Over the past two weeks I was using a Droid Charge (PhoneArena review) and one of the issues that I had was the device was always dropping 4G and going to 3G EVDO, even though I am in a 4G area (Ft Lauderdale). When this happened I would turn the Airplane Mode on and off, and this would kick the phone back to 4G. But a few minutes later it would change to 3G.

If you are in a 4G area, please reply to this thread if your Droid Charge is staying locked on 4G, or if it keeps dropping to 3G.

I did have a similar issues with the HTC ThunderBolt, as it would cycle between 4G/3G/1x, but after the software update two days ago, it fixed the problem and has stayed on 4G.

Re: Droid Charge is dropping 4G and going to 3G all the time
UMFootball1989

Now I'm now expert but there are probably going to be a lot of bugs/squirks with this phone since it has just recently come out...luckily i have a discounted upgrade in July so hopefully everything will be worked out by then

0 Likes
m524c

I just bought the Droid Saturday, 5/15/2011, when it became available.  I am in Orlando.  Saturday and Sunday morning seemed to be ok, but it seems to be dropping the 4G regularly now and going to 3G.  If I turn it off and on, or go to Airplane Mode and then back on (turn the VZW radio on and off basically) it will acquire 4G, but seems to lose it pretty quickly and downgrade to 3G.....

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
m524c

I just bought the Droid Saturday, 5/15/2011, when it became available.  I am in Orlando.  Saturday and Sunday morning seemed to be ok, but it seems to be dropping the 4G regularly now and going to 3G.  If I turn it off and on, or go to Airplane Mode and then back on (turn the VZW radio on and off basically) it will acquire 4G, but seems to lose it pretty quickly and downgrade to 3G.....

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Justme13

I live in the Phoenix area. I got the charge yesterday and it has not left the 4G.

0 Likes
Ray999
Contributor - Level 1

I am in the Columbus OH area and have had 4G on my Charge since Saturday except for the obvious places like my basement (drops to 3G).  Was on Sprint and their 4G around here was spotty at best. Took them up on their 30 day guarantee and went back to Verizon.

0 Likes
chula57

I also just purchased the Droid Charge on Sunday.  It was fine Sunday and Monday but all day today Tuesday, I keep losing 4G.  This morning I had no internet at all, not even 3g or 1x.  I turned the phone off and on again and 4G came back. Then this afternoon late I was making a call and I had no outgoing voice although I could hear the person on the other end.  I had problems with several calls for awhile and then 4G returned again and I was able to make calls as well.  4G went out again around 11:00 pm and came back on its own. I am in South Florida, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
There has been connection issues w/ 4g on the thunderbolt too. But hopefully software update fixed that for the tb. Maybe u will get an update too.
0 Likes
mspampi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ft. Lauderdale here as well with the exact issues. 4G on, go and browse the web, few minutes later 3G. Then back.. Then forth etc.. Signal is fine on both. Sometimes reboot to get any data back.. This is all odd. Hopefully the network..

0 Likes
Bababap

Yeah, I was told that Seattle, WA area is the best Verizon 4G zone in the U.S.(I'm not sure since my 4G recepition is not quite good while I live in South of Seattle.) If you watch the 4G speed test video that guys from Seattle produced, you will see the amazing speed. I love it!

Charge on Verizon 4G LTE:
Ping: 126ms
Down: 20.99 Mbps

Up: 8.66 Mbps

Check out the video : http://bit.ly/j8jXEX

0 Likes