Droid Charge Resets Factory Settings!!!
jimbosays
Enthusiast - Level 3

WOW . . . Thought my situation was unique until perusing these forums - Guess Not!!!

TWICE in the past two weeks my Droid Charge has reset itself to factory settings . . . Not Cool!!!

The first time a couple of weeks ago I shrugged it off as the phone being a little over a year old and a factory reset/cleaning as not necessarily a bad thing.

NOW, after getting the apps, screens, contacts, etc. reloaded (yeah, most are backed-up - but still a small pain in the rear) . . . It does it AGAIN! Just sitting on my desk in the production truck, I see the screen "flash" and I picked the phone up thinking I had a message. NOPE, nothing, just dead (battery fully charged - unplugged it a few minutes earlier.) Waited a few minutes, hit the power button . . . Boots up fine - BUT IS RESET BACK FACTORY BASIC SETTINGS - Shoot ME!!!!!

I am in the sports broadcasting biz and this time of year (bowl game productions across the country) is NO time to be dealing with phone issues - HELP ME VERIZON!!! (Hate for an on-air talent to make a snappy retort on a live show in regard to Verizon about no communication leading up to a game!)

0 Likes
Re: Droid Charge Resets Factory Settings!!!
jimbosays
Enthusiast - Level 3

>Discussing of moderation is not permitted in this forum. Please read the VZW ToS, if you have a concern of the moderation and how to voice your displeasure. We are not here to offer assistance, we are Moderators only, on tech, billing, or Customer Service Reps<

Thanks Verizon.

I'm still here . . . If a Verizon rep or another kind soul may be of assistance with my Droid Charge issue of constant re-booting and resetting back to 'factory new'.

(Happened several times again several times today . . . And I am on-location at a bowl game venue in NEED of a GOOD phone!)

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I am sure not so "veiled" threats will work wonderfully. Would also like to see that same on air talent lose his/her job by making erroneous comments towards one of the largest sponsors of the bowl season. THAT would be a major blunder in job security!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jimbosays,  I am so sorry I was unable to reach out sooner! We need to keep your phone reliable!  Does the device reset after installing the same applications that you previously had or did you try leaving it stock for a little while?  Can you confirm the software version and baseband on your device? Menu>Settings>About Phone.  I look forward to getting this resolved!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

jimbosays
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Yale & Forum -

My local tech thought I had too many apps moved over to the SD card, which I moved purposely to free up device memory space. After NUMEROUS (and then a few more) full resets, clearing every reasonable cache file, loading minimal apps, etc. - The unit seemed to work decently for about month. But the past 24-hours has plunged me back into cell phone misery once again.

Constant involuntary resetting (full system resets). When it runs, there are "failures" at every turn - TW Launcher (I cleared the cache) , Dialer, Google play store, swype, etc.

Is there a way to reload the original/factory 2.3.6 operating system (or whatever it needs) - Either at a VZW store or via the Internet? I really think the basic operating system has become corrupted. The phone operating system has never been tampered with in any manner.

Requested info:

Hardware:

i510.06

Firmware:

Baseband:

i510.06 V.FPS

SCH-I510.FPS

Kernel:

2.6.35.7-FPS

Any assistance anyone may provide is appreciated!

- Jim

0 Likes
chick7388
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same phone with the same upates to firmware, software, etc.  I am also having the same problem.  Mine started yesterday, 1/25/13, and has reset back to factory settings no less than 5 times.  It is extremely frustrating and unless I want to pay full price for a new phone, I am stuck with this one for another year. 

It has reset back to factory settings after only logging into my email and moving icons on the home page without uploading any apps at all, mostly because Google Play won't open as it encounters "unexpected" problems. I have had several Samsung phones.  This is the first I have had on the Verizon network as I switched from another company last year.  I have never had any issues with any of the other phones. 

I would really like to know how I can fix this.  I need my phone to perform my job as well and having to call clients back because my phone turned off mid call is extremely unprofessional. Please provide a solution.

jimbosays
Enthusiast - Level 3

My issues began on 12/24/12 and finally one month (and many local store visits) later the local store authorized a pre-owned replacement. After loading minimal apps - the same apps I've used for the past 15 months - and only few hours after activation the NEW phone is doing the exact SAME thing!

Good to know it wasn't just MY unit . . . BAD to realize that VZW is moving so slow to rectify the problem that so many valuable customers who rely on their phone for their daily business are facing.

My Droid Charge is great - When it works! This is definitely a software issue that must addressed very soon.

kashulee
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter and I have the Charge as well and her phone just started exhibiting the same problem this past Fri. In her case, the phone appears to have powered down even when its was plugged into the charger overnight. We thought her battery wasn't holding its charge but I switched batteries from my phone and its not the battery.

She can't turn it back on without removing the battery. It comes back up but she loses all her data that is not stored on the SD card (contacts, messages, customized screens). I assume this is some form of the factory setting. I get all the application errors (google play, clock, tw lancher, etc) and force shutdown notices as noted above.

It was progressively getting worse to the point it wasn't staying booted up to where I could use it. I brought it into a Verizon store today (Sunday) in the hope os restoring to the factory setting believing something in the operating system or flash got corrupted during one of these power cycles. The tech attempted to a hard reset twice with no success and now the phone can't even boot up. All I get now is a continuous loop of the droid boot up sequence with shattering screen.

Help. This can't be a coincidence that we are all haven't the exact situation.

I (and presumably my daughter) have the identical hardware, firmware, baseband, and kernel as Jimbosays indicated above.

We are not eligible for our next upgrade until May and would like to get this fixed.

Thanks in advance,

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon Kashulee,

I am sorry to hear about your daughters Samsung Charge acting up and now that it is not even able to turn on after a factory reset.  We need your daughter to have a fully functional phone and I absolutely want to help.  How long have you had the device for? Do you have insurance? We may need to look into a replacement.

Sincerely,

NickB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Jackmans
Enthusiast - Level 1

My phone just had the exact same thing happen to it. I can't even use the keyboard because it says the keyboard has stopped working unexpectedly. My phone is almost useless right now. Can you please help me out with this? Thanks