Droid Bionic battery dying since ICS and 4G
ggf42

I have owned my Bionic for just over a year.  Recently I upgraded to ICS and last Friday Nov. 9th our area went to 4G.  My battery is dying quickly......Example...as of 10:03AM my phone has been on for 3 hours, the screen shows that it has been on for 31 minutes, and I am down to 70% battery after a full charge.  I did do a factory reset yesterday due to issues with the Android OS using up over 40% of battery - now it is at 28%.  I have turned down screen brightness, lengthened updates, I have wi-fi turned off as I do not use it, etc.  I don't want to have to limit everything, or it really isn't worth having the phone.

Phone completely dies each night around 10 with light use.

Any ideas without considering a new phone?

0 Likes
Re: Droid Bionic battery dying since ICS and 4G
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

welcome to the world of 4G. Now that your 4G radio is active, and searching for 4G signal, your battery life will as a result deteriorate. It takes some getting used to from being on 3G. I switched from a 3G iphone to a 4G LTE Galaxy device, and I am going through the same thing. My advise is to keep a charger weith you at work or to charge when you get home. Dont let the battery life get to you. Enjoy the 4G!

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

If the battery drain on 4G/LTE seems too much to tolerate you can use this app to enable 3G only:

LTE OnOff

0 Likes
ginnypres
Enthusiast - Level 1

Under a posting by AjayLA titled “Multiple Issues with 4.0.4", tikibar1 posted instructions to do a system cache clear. I was having several problems after the update, including severe battery drain, and this fixed all of my problems!!! Just wanted to pass it on . . .

I want to add . . . I can now keep my phone and (4G) data active all night and only lose about 10% battery. (If fully charged at 11:00 PM, at 8:00 AM, it will still be about 88-89% charged.) I do keep battery-saving options (like Background Data restricted, Sync off, WiFi, GPS, bluetooth off, etc,) tight as much as possible, only making them active when needed. (After the update and until I did the system cache clear, my battery was going from 100% to about 40% overnight under the same conditions.)

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I also keep a lot of things off until needed and my battery usage is similar to yours.

0 Likes
veriozonjj68117

I am experiencing really weird phenomenon with my Bionic also. Since the upgrade from ICS and the Jelly Bean, my Bionic battery doesn't seem to hold a charge very long, plus when charging it seems to drain and then the power fluctuates between 5%-100% in under 1 minute when plugged in, and I know that the battery cannot be fully charged in under 1 minute. So I hit the power button, as I suspected was not fully charged, then phone resets with battery at 5% and within 5 minutes it is back at 100% and same occurrence. I am trying to figure out how to get my batter to charge if it will not fully charge.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That certainly is a strange phenomenon, veriozonjj68117. Clearing the cache http://vz.to/P5s0JC and temporary internet files http://vz.to/rYO9Ym can sometimes help. The system cache clearing that ginnypres mentioned are:

Power down phone
Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously
Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select
Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android
Press volume up/down simultaneously
Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select
Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

That is a fantastic way of helping to clear out all the cookie crumbs on your phone and a great step before the need to resort to resetting http://vz.to/nExWmP the device.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes