Re: Droid Bionic Downgrade to ICS???
DavidB17

Really Warren?  You instruct him to do a software update when the problem stated is that after doing the software update his 4G LTE no longer works?

Kenacepi....I feel your pain.  Since upgrading my Bionic to ICS I too am no longer getting 4G LTE.  I had the LTE on/off app on my phone and used that successfully when my phone was still on Gingerbread, but it doesn't seem to work any more.

Hopefully a Verizon rep that READS the complaint will chime in with some possible solutions.

0 Likes
DavidB17

kenacepi wrote:

So am I stuck here? Is there a way to back out ICS?

I don't know of a way to get your Bionic back to Gingerbread.  I have however seen that there is now a Jellybean release for the Bionic from the Android Open Kang Project.  I suspect it requires [modifying] your phone [and voiding the warranty] though, and no idea if it would fix this LTE problem we have.  If I knew there was an easy way to get my Bionic back to Verizon ICS software should Verizon ever release another upgrade, I'd go try the AOKP Jellybean and see what happens. 

Sheesh...with my old Blackberry it was much easier to revert/upgrade device software.  Download the software (older or newer than currently on phone) to PC, connect USB, install software.

<<Post edited to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
DavidB17

Kenacepi,

I have 4G LTE back!  After having been without for months.  Here are the steps I took.  It is unclear to me exactly what was my problem or how it was cured, but I'm just happy it's working again.

Boot phone into "Recovery". Power phone off, the hold down both volume up/down buttons and turn phone back on.  You will get a menu on screen.  Use volume down to scroll menu, and volume up to select.  I selected "Recovery" from that menu.

Phone then looks like it is booting, but after the Motorola logo you will see a Android robot logo.  Hit volume up and down to get the "Recovery" menu.  This is probably where your local rep went to "reset" your phone.  I did a "Clear cache", and it said it was "formatting /cache".  Note I do not believe doing a Factory Reset also does a Clear Cache.

Rebooted phone.

Go into dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#*

Go to Phone Information and I scrolled down and chose the LTE/CDMA/EvDo option.  Immediately the 4GLTE icon (that I hadn't seen in forever) came on and I'm surfing 4G.

Hope this helps you.  I THINK clearing cache is what did it for me but like I said don't know for sure.

0 Likes
kenacepi

David,

Thanks for the inputs. If I’m following you correctly, this is what the VZW Rep did at the store in front of me. I know he entered codes on the dialer, but am not sure what they were. When he got to the LTE/CDMA/EvDo option, 4GLTE was not an option. I will try again at some point. Also earlier when I tried to do the recovery part on my own, I got an icon showing the Android Guy laying on its back with its belly open and a bright red warning triangle sticking out of it. It just sat there so after 10 minutes, I just pulled the battery and rebooted.

I was able to solve the not being able to launch the Play store thing though… found that a program which allowed downloads was at the very end of the list of programs (Under All Aps) that was turned off. Once I turned it back on, I the phone immediately started downloading all my lost aps.

Ken

0 Likes
DavidB17

The "android on his back" is Recovery. You have to press the volume up and

down buttons when you see him to actually get the recovery menu. One choice

is factory reset which is what I suspect the rep did. Another choice is

clear cache, which is what I did. I did NOT do a factory reset.

There is no "4GLTE" choice in the Phone Info screen. I have mine set on

LTE/CDMA/EvDo and like I said once I had done a clear cache in Recovery

mode this setting has my phone connecting 4G. I have successfully toggled

between this and CDMA (auto) to selectively enabled and disable LTE and so

far turning off and back on as it did with Gingerbread.

Glad you got your apps back. Would be nice to know what that program was

called that was blocking downloads as I've never heard of such app.

0 Likes
kenacepi

Thanks David,

The app was called “Download Manager”, it appears to be part of the ICS build series of files.

I’ll try the recovery thing again and let you know what happens.

0 Likes
kenacepi

Got the reboot thing to work and was able to access the menu you mentioned, but it didn’t make any difference. Still stuck in 3G… Guess I will wait for the next upgrade.

Ken

0 Likes
DavidB17

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Mine is still showing 4G even after going in and out of 4G coverage areas

several times, so I don't think it's the Android code itself. Perhaps try

checking some of the android forum sites for help.

0 Likes
kenacepi

Thanks David, I’ve been to a lot of the forums already without much success, but I will keep looking. Hopefully the next upgrade will fix the issue. Until then, at least I have a working phone. I’m not a super user so not having the 4G isn’t a big problem, it’s more of an annoyance. I’ll just wait another 6 months for the contract to expire and wait for a good sale to come along and see what is out there when the time comes. I’m pretty impressed with my kids Samsung Note II right now.

0 Likes