Droid Bionic Battery Life
bass1

Help!  My battery life is awful.  I can have a fully charged battery and within 4 hours it's at less then 30%.  I would say this occurs with very light phone use - maybe 10 texts, 10 minutes of web and a check of the weather.  Any suggestions on how to help?  I have purchased a brand new battery, I've cleared out the cache per another discussion on this site and it doesn't appear to help.

Any other suggestions?  It's ridiculous to have a smartphone and not really be able to utilize it for fear that it will die and I will need to make a call or contact someone & am not by an outlet to charge my phone.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Droid Bionic Battery Life
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Start by Disabling any of these apps you dont actually use as they are Data and Battery Hogs (even if you do not use them. Backup Assistant is by far the largest Battery Hog on the list. Use Google to back up your contacts (more reliable and easier to use) just make sure you save the contact as a Google Contact.

A decent list of what to disable is located below (but that varies from user to user as some people insist on using one or more of these).

Amazon Kindle

Amazon MP3

Apps (this is a Verizon Apps Store)

Backup Assistant (can be one of many variations of this)

NewBayService

Facebook

Google Play Books

Google Play Movies & TV

Google +

MOG Music

Music Store

My Verizon Mobile (also one of the largest Data Hogs)

NFL Mobile

Slacker Radio

Slingbox

Smart Actions

V Cast Tones

Verizon Video

VZ Navigator

YouTube

Quick Office

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello bass1,

Battery life is SUPER important to any wireless device, especially a smartphone. We want you to be able to enjoy all the power and features of the Droid Bionic. As a fellow Bionic owner, I can contest to the amazing capabilities of this device. May I ask have you tried the suggestions that Jakeman1 posted? Thanks Jakeman1! If not then I would highly suggest doing so. Also, you can make adjustments in the settings like the backlight and e-mail delivery frequency. For more tips and tricks to preserve battery life, check out this link.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/50757/

Once you have done so then please test to see if there is a noticeable difference in the battery life. If more assistance is needed then as always, we are here to help.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bass1

Thanks!  I have made these changes & will see if that helps at all!

0 Likes
bass1

Verizon -

I have disabled the apps that I do not use on his list.  I just did it an hour ago, we are charging up right now and then I will see how that helps battery life.

I already don't have any email pushed/updated to my phone automatically, I have to go into the App and check it/refresh the data manually.

My screen brightness is at "auto adjust".  However, again, if I'm barley using my phone (ie: the screen is off for the majority of the time), the brightness shouldn't make a huge difference.    I had it set on low at one point to conserve battery life & it didn't make a difference.  The phone was hard to see/use at that settnig so I just changed it back

I will check out the link as well, and keep people posted.  Thanks for all the advice.

0 Likes
Wheels5

I'm having the same problem.  The phone has never had great battery life, but recently it has become unacceptably short.  My battery doesn't last even eight hours..sometimes only 4 or 5 hours.  The info on the Verizon site isn't helpful, and I can't figure out how to disable or uninstall all of the pre-installed apps that are cluttering my phone.  There does not seem to be a "disable" or "uninstall" option...at least not that I can find.  There is an "Uninstall Updates" button, but that doesn't get rid of the app, which is the real issue.  There is probably something running in the background that is killing my battery, but I can't figure out what it might be.  I have not installed any new apps recently, at least not knowingly.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you click the Uninstall Updates, once they do, indeed, uninstall, the button then should switch to a Disable button.  Your disabled apps are then moved to the bottom of your app list.

You also may want to run a system cache clear:

Power down phone

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery *

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

* if doesn't work:

press and hold the volume down and wait for a second or two, then press and hold the volume up and the volume down buttons for 5-6 seconds and then release

0 Likes
bass1

Ok.  So I've cleared the cache, disabled apps that I am not using, dimmed my screen, turned location services off & my battery life is still terrible.

This AM I was fully charged.  After being disconnected from a power source for < 2 hours, it was already at 60%.  I looked at the battery usage & the only  thing registering a significant usage was the Android operating system and the screen.  I've dimmed the screen even more (it's almost as low as it can go).  Anything else I can do to adjust the operating system usage. 

I appreciate all the advice!  This is frusterating.

0 Likes
Wheels5

Thanks!  I will give that a try.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Battery could be going bad. 

0 Likes