Droid App Memory Limited to 256Mb - Ouch! We'll run out!!!
RedSox2010

After practically having my camp set up for Friday's Verizon release of the Droid as I just had to get my hands on one, I'm now concerned with application memory limitations.

For those of you who are technical - you know what I mean.

For those non-technical types, it refers to the amount of memory that you have available to store the "apps" you will download from the Android Market.

Currently the Droid is limited to 256Mb. No more, no less.

NOT 16GB!!! that is just your phone storage for Pics, Video, and MP3's...

The following link discusses the issue in greater depth:

http://androidandme.com/2009/10/news/google-fails-to-address-app-storage-issue-with-droid-and-androi...

So with apps running at about 4-10Mb per app - you can quickly see you will reach this limit at about 25-28 apps.

That is for low end - smaller apps. Graphic intensive apps (the Droid has about the same graphics capability as the iPhone) will reduce that exponentially. So with a few games in the 50-70MB range and your down to about 7 apps.

This has caused me to hit the brakes on camping out for a new Droid. Do I want to run out of space for apps when there is a 16GB card installed in my device? No....

So I think I may wait until Verizon can work with Google to get this right for the Droid.

While there appears to be an argument over weather the Droid has the capability to store the executables for apps on the internal flash, while bulk content (like textures, audio files, maps, etc.) can be stored on SD. Not a single reference from Google (Android 2.0), Motorola, or Verizon support this claim! I want to see proof before I take the leap, otherwise, I'm just buying a new phone in a year anyway - that gets this combo right.

Outside of that - it was potentially the dream device for me! I know Verizon will never get the iPhone, and my BlackBerry has the same limitations listed above... So why change now, I want Verizon, Google, and Motorola to get it right!

Anyone else have thoughts on this...?

/r

0 Likes
Re: Droid App Memory Limited to 256Mb - Ouch! We'll run out!!!
Samsungfan123

Just root the device. Problem solved. YAY!!!

0 Likes
RedSox2010

Sure - you could root it and whiel about 20% of us can do that - ROFL - the 80% that try and fail should be fun to watch!

(Not to mention Verizon voiding them when they come in dazed and confused to the dealer.

(androidcommunity.com yields over 2000+ results when doing a simple search for "android root problems".

Plus - rooting works to a point - but in itself is not flawless.

I like the 1 billion warnings sites with rooting instructions have...

And... while sure you can run the Verizon version of Android 2.0 anytime, Verizon will not support your root (ROFL).

Not to mention you probably will not receive system updates from Verizon, all data will be wiped when flashing a new Android build (you'll need to plan for backups before hand), and if you do not read and follow instructions exactly, you will have trouble.

The majority of users will like it because they always wanted an iPhone on Verizon and will NOT move to AT&T, but have little skill when it comes to hacking their phones.  

For me - why should I pay to have to then root my phone - when it should be done right in the first place.

I'll either wait for the firmware to be upgraded to allow access to SD by apps, or wait for the Droid II.

/r

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I have randomly searched the market I have looked at 20 apps and have yet to find one 2mb.  Really I haven't found anything over 1.4 and that was a 3d game.  World of Warcraft was under 1.  The roughly 250 mb that you will have available to install apps does not include the ones already installed.  In otherwords the really cool stuff like Google maps, facebook, Navigation, Google books, youtube, etc etc etc are already on there the 250mb is for other stuff and it looks like about an average of we'll call it 1.5 since I have to assume that since everyone is making such a fuss about this that there are some huge apps but so far of 20 apps the average is just under 1mb.  We will go conservative and say that unless you build your own graphic intensive games or port apps from Linux for whatever crazy reason you may have you will be able to install roughly 100 apps in that space.  Most of us will have fewer than 20 unless we really get crazy.  Personally I am most excited about metal detector which is 42kb.  Yeah with apps like that I will have caverns to work with. 

0 Likes
crazy4trntitans

ok, I'm confused.....what does root mean???  And will you need a SD card  to get the 16 g.   thanks for any answers.  I'm looking at it but don't know after reading your posts.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Whoop found them.  Margarita drop 7.9MB.  Gang wars lite 2.9mb.  I dare you 2.9MB XGalaxy2 full version 8.4MB.  PacMan is for real 2.3MB what I don't think the original was that big.  I don't think they thought in MB when Pac Man came out.  LOL. 

0 Likes
RedSox2010

ROFL - I saw that! Metal Detector App.  Crazy.

Ultimately - I think this will get resoved in a firmware upgrade to Android 2.x, but I'm still cautions as I'm an app hog.

0 Likes
RedSox2010

You know - as we get Flash 10.1 on Android 2.0, this size thing will scale back as Flash apps developed in that resolution will be compact. Again... cautions....

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

I agree.  I mean I understand the reasoning to a certain extent but why put all the protections up for opensource programs?  I do think that eventually that will end up being resolved.  It will hurt the serious gamers but for the rest of us I don't think it will be an issue. I also expect that in 2 years when I am upgrading again that the Rom will be much larger as will the majority of apps and I will be dreaming of that new whatever by then. 

0 Likes
RedSox2010

Here's the deal - by the simple nature of you looking for input on websites to help you decide, you are already light years away from most.

Just be informed about what you are deciding and stay away from Hype. This phone appears to be great and with the limitation I mentioned above =- it still sizes up as a wicked phone by any standard.

WiFi, 5MP camera, DVD quality video (though I would like to see samples online recorded so I can SEE with my own eyes), and the SLEW of other good features will most likely mean you will be happy. 

I'm a tough cookie to please and will jam that thing so full of apps, I just want to be sure I'm satisfied with the end game.

/r

0 Likes