Droid 3 Automatically Restarts
NiGHTSdreamer

I first bought the Droid X2, which was a fine phone, if a little sluggish a little over a month ago. After swapping it out for the Droid 3, an overall terrific phone, the device started turning off and back on. It had been doing so since I first got it.

This would happen at least twice a day and for no apparent reason, so I called up Verizon and had it replaced with another Droid 3. It has been doing the same thing, albeit less frequently.

I have scoured other forums for advice and have learned that problems with the Droid 3 wifi settings has caused the device to restart/power cycle. Also, from my experience, sliding out the keyboard to access the unlock screen instead of just pressing the power button sometimes causes the phone to hang and eventually restart itself.

I really do not want to be a bother, I know what it is like dealing with trouble customers. I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing frequent restarting/power cycling on the Droid 3. Any fixes? Or should I just complain some more and get another Droid 3?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid 3 Automatically Restarts
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

SP97 wrote:

My Daughter and I are having the same issue. It seems to only happen when using WiFi.

I tried the fix of disabling Back up my data in the privacy settings and then removing all remembered wifi connections and setting them back up and so far have not had any restarts.

Thanks to the community members for your input.

I apologize for the issue on some of the Droid 3 devices powering on randomly. This is a known issue being worked on diligently with Motorola for a requested solution. Your patience is being asked for as this matter is being addressed. As soon as a solution is provided, we will pass it along to our customers. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

NiGHTSdreamer wrote:

This would happen at least twice a day and for no apparent reason, so I called up Verizon and had it replaced with another Droid 3. It has been doing the same thing, albeit less frequently.

My thought if more than one device experiance the same issue then you may want to try removing things from the equation, like apps and system settings.

I have scoured other forums for advice and have learned that problems with the Droid 3 wifi settings has caused the device to restart/power cycle.

Sounds like this is a on going issue with all Motorale devices, the Droid X had this issues also...

Also, from my experience, sliding out the keyboard to access the unlock screen instead of just pressing the power button sometimes causes the phone to hang and eventually restart itself.

This is a new one reported for the devices.. Usually noting related to keyboard..

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

NiGHTSdreamer wrote:

I first bought the Droid X2, which was a fine phone, if a little sluggish a little over a month ago. After swapping it out for the Droid 3, an overall terrific phone, the device started turning off and back on. It had been doing so since I first got it.

I have scoured other forums for advice and have learned that problems with the Droid 3 wifi settings has caused the device to restart/power cycle. Also, from my experience, sliding out the keyboard to access the unlock screen instead of just pressing the power button sometimes causes the phone to hang and eventually restart itself.

I really do not want to be a bother, I know what it is like dealing with trouble customers. I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing frequent restarting/power cycling on the Droid 3. Any fixes? Or should I just complain some more and get another Droid 3?

NiGHTSdreamer,

I do understand your frustrations with the Motorola Droid 3 restarts and would be happy to assist with getting this resolved!

Couple of questions, since I noticed you stated the restarts happened on your previous Droid 3, when you set up your current Droid did you sign in with the same Google account that was on your previous device?  Have you downloaded any "Antivirus applications"?  Sounds as though something that was associated with your Google account followed you to your replacement and may be causing your phone to respond in this manner.

0 Likes
mgerbasio1

See here for a thread on the Motorola forum:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/54002?tstart=0

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

I turned my phone off last night. It shut down and I placed it on the table. About 3 seconds later it powered up on it's own. It's only done that once. The phone acts ok, except when you exit an app or browser, it takes about 5 seconds for the mainpage to come up. Otherwise it's not bad. Any advice?

0 Likes
techead
It could be your battery those problems sometimes are cause by a faulty battery. I would see if a new battery would solve your wows.
0 Likes
SP97

My Daughter and I are having the same issue. It seems to only happen when using WiFi.

I tried the fix of disabling Back up my data in the privacy settings and then removing all remembered wifi connections and setting them back up and so far have not had any restarts.

0 Likes
SP97

Sorry to report that we are still seeing random restarts while using WiFi.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

SP97 wrote:

Thanks to the community members for your input.

I apologize for the issue on some of the Droid 3 devices powering on randomly. This is a known issue being worked on diligently with Motorola for a requested solution. Your patience is being asked for as this matter is being addressed. As soon as a solution is provided, we will pass it along to our customers. 

0 Likes
em2ner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Personally, I think we should get some sort of compensation for this. After all we didn't pay $200 for a new phone plus $100 a month for a faulty device. Granted most new devices aren't perfect, but the service providing updates seems to be lacking effort. I have also had this problem with my DROID 3 restarting whenever Wi-Fi is enabled.