Droid 2 Global - Heating up and draining battery
dennis0092
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had my Droid 2 Global for a little over one year and have had very few issues with it.  Overall I am pleased with the phone.  For about the last two weeks the phone has been getting extremely hot in the area around the camera and the heat can also be felt on the left side of the keyboard.  This doesn't happen all the time but will occur 2 or 3 times a day.  I usually shut the phone down and restart it and some time this helps.  I usually can go a full day on one battery charge but since it started heating up I have to recharge the battery 2 or 3 times a day.

Anyone having any similar issues?   I have the warrently plan and will be taking the phone by a store very soon.  Thanks in advance for any info.

0 Likes
Re: Droid 2 Global - Heating up and draining battery
Threemoons
Enthusiast - Level 2

Me too.  Tried putting a new battery in, no help.

ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello dennis0092,

Overheating is one of the many issues that can originate from a variety of actions on a device. In order to get a better understanding of the issue, I have a few questions to ask about the device and it's usage.

• What city and state are you in?
  • Do you have any apps on the device that regulate battery life or signal issues?
  • Are you having signal fluctuations?
  • What software version do you have on the device?
  • Are you using the original battery and charger?

As a best practice, it is recommended to replace the battery after owning it longer than a year. Since batteries are a deteriorating accessory, it's performance will not be as consistent as it was in its younger months. Although there are exceptions to this practice, I would encourage it in your case.

If you are having signal issues then this may be the culprit. A battery's charge will not last as long when a device is struggling to keep a signal. This could be device related or network related. Once you provide the information to the questions posted above, this will help filter down what is the root cause of the device overheating. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
dennis0092
Enthusiast - Level 1

ArnettH_VZW,

I'm in the Orlando, FL area and don't have any issues with signal fluctuations.  I typically have excellent signal strength.  I don't have any apps that regulate battery life or signal issues.  I do have an app killer that stops the unwanted apps from running in the background.  I'm running Android 2.3.3.  Yes, original battery and charger; although I do have a secondary charger at work and a car charger as well (all verizon products).

I'm not sure if the heat is being generated from the processor board, antenna, or a combination of both.  The phone always has gotten warm when I looking things up on the web for extended lengths of time but has never gotten this hot or drained the battery so quickly.  To me the real problem is occuring when I stop using the phone for web access (whether looking things up on google, accessing facebook, etc.) and the phone doesn't appear to stop processing or radiating.  The phone continues to heat up and while it is basically sleeping. 

I've looked at the battery usage screen and reviewed the battery usage graph.  At it worst times, the signal is good, the phone is not awake, screen is not on but there is a continuous drain/discharge of the battery and the phone is extremely hot.  I can power cycle the phone and sometime this will help.  This is not an everyday occurence either, sometimes it happens and sometime not.

Thanks,

Dennis

bklyngirly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem, just suddenly in the last week or so, the battery barely lasts three hours and I am not doing anything at all. I was enjoying the phone and now it's annoying. I just got a new battery today and I do not think it has helped. I have had it charging on my pc since midday in the office and it is 5pm and only up to 50%. That doesn't make sense. I am in NYC and have no signal issues, no stray apps running, no data usage issues.

The other strange thing is it keeps getting hung up, when I am typing a reply to an email suddenly it just freezes for a bit then shuts down the message entirely without sending. There will be a message in drafts but it is completely empty.

This has been an exercise in frustration, I hope someone at Verizon will admit there is a problem and better yet come up with a solution...

0 Likes
bklyngirly
Enthusiast - Level 2

so I unplugged the phone, packed my bag, took a look at the phone again and it's in the red. this is ridiculous!!! something is defective.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello everyone!

A battery that is overheating certainly isn't good.

It is normal for the battery to get warm while charging, playing games, browsing websites etc.

It is not normal for the battery to get excessively hot as this can cause injury, swelling or even explosion of the battery.

For this reason, we as that you take any overheating batteries/devices to one of our corporate stores along with any chargers that you use. (batteries, car charger, travel charger or desktop charger/stand)

Either the phone, battery and/or charger will need to be replaced.

Thanks for taking the time to post on our forum!

Tamara H.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

stresserika

Hi, I am having problems with my phone also over several months. At first the touch screen would not take any input texts or the keyboard until I changed it to the swype key method which worked fine until today. I know that the phone gets warm after playing certain games or when you are using it or sometimes while on the charger etc. But what was unusual was that the battery would drain with in 1 hour of it being unplugged and with me not using it. I even went to the manage app section to see what all apps are running and I changed the battery saving method to sync less etc. Then I would charge it again. Then I noticed while it is not charging and not doing anything, the phone would start to get hot but when I put it on the charger,it cools down (which to me seems backward). As soon as it is unplugged, it gets hot very quickly and the battery goes down in an hour again but if I am using the phone off the charger, it takes longer for the battery to drain than if I just left it alone. Again I used it like that and just continuously kept it on the charger so it wont over heat. But today, even with it being on the charger, it is continuously hot and not charging. Its been on the charger for about 5 hours and only charged about 10% so i just took out the battery. Even though the battery is hot, it feels even hotter under the top part where the camera is located so I don't know if the battery is the problem or the phone. I don't think it's the charger as I used more than one charger and it's the same thing. My friend has a phone that uses the same charger and my charger charges her phone fine. Now I can't even text or anything as now the swype method or touch screen or keyboard is working. Can you render any help? Thanks.

0 Likes
bklyngirly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I phoned Verizon after the new battery was not charging, explained about the extreme heat and all of this, and they immediately sent me a replacement "like new" phone. It has worked swimmingly since then. I am surprised about the "possibly explosion" thing, I would have reacted more quickly if I'd known. The phone would periodically get extremely hot but in the end it was almost always hot, like the previous poster mentioned in the area near the camera, not really the battery.  Anyway bottom line, call Verizon and they'll send you a new phone and hopefully the problem will go away.

Thanks for this forum to commiserate and compare horror (and success) stories!

ohioscanner
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Droid 3 and it also has been overheating and the battery draining in 3 hours whether I use it or not. I went to the Verizon store and they replaced the battery but it didn't fix it. I have it set for energy saving and they even checked it and said the settings I had it on were good. I am going to have to call and complain again and maybe get a new phone. Does anybody know if I will lose any data if I change phones?

0 Likes