Droid 2 GLOBAL screen freeze
cutienerdgrrl

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated community for the new GLOBAL, so I'm posting here. I did already use search and the only thread previously that was relevant had turned into a debate over task killers and nobody really answered the question. Since that thread was about the original 2, and mine is a 2 GLOBAL, I decided to start a new thread, if that's alright with everybody?

Just got my D2G yesterday and (aside from it being way more advanced than I'm used to) I'm doing okay with it. HOWEVER the screen keeps freezing up on me!

I was very hesitant to purchase another Motorola as I've had nothing but bad luck with them. I had one WAY back in '99, then again in '06 & '08 & now trying again. The one I had the least amount of trouble from was the Razr. But with all but the first it seemed to be a freeze up issue.

But I did all my research, read tons of reviews, and had friends recommend the Droid 2, so I went ahead. I REALLY don't want to regret this because it takes so daggum long to work you're way through the Verizon Customer Service Mine Field and then set a new phone up.

Anyway. The screen keeps freezing up on me. I knew from past experience to pop the battery out and put it back in, start over...I've done that like 10 times today. Yes my hands are clean, no I don't wear lotion. I've let the battery drain COMPLETELY until it shut itself down and recharged it and it is still doing it. If you're going to recommend a factory reset (boooo!), please tell me where I can find that option!

Help is appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Droid 2 GLOBAL screen freeze
lex22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon just today announced a software update that lists fixing screen freezes as an improvement.  We'll see... 

It has not yet been made available, just announced.

0 Likes
lex22
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is the link:

http://support.vzw.com/system_update/droid_pro.html

For what its worth, it says it is fixing "user interface lockups."  It does not say screen freeze, but my small brain does not see a difference.

So hopefully you are on your way to a fix.

0 Likes
cutienerdgrrl

I did the factory restart and am still having freeze problems with it. I've already contacted VW and they're shipping out a replacement. If I have trouble with that one I will never EVER get a Motorola again. They just can't seem to get it right.

0 Likes
w-in-ark

This may not solve everyone's lockup issues, but it solved mine.  I have around 90 apps added to my phone and I'm using over 10 GB of space on my SD card, so I don't imagine a lot of people have a worse case than I have.  I hope this helps!  Good luck!

I have been having trouble with my Droid locking up for a couple of months now and it kept getting worse until I was having to reboot it 4 - 6 times per day.  Besides the lockups, it also seemed to work very SLOW with almost everything I used.  I was desperate to try anything, so I had decided to do a factory default and start over.  

The day before I was going to do that, I FINALLY found out what the problem had been all along.  I had taken a picture and it locked up.  When I rebooted, it came up with a "SD card is damaged" message and could not mount the card.  I tried rebooting several times.

I put the SD card into my computer and it could not read it also and said that I needed to format it.  I took it out and re-inserted it several times until it finally recognized it and allowed me to access it.  I immediately copied everything on the card to a folder on my computer.  I then put in a new SD card (same brand and size) and copied everything in the folder to the new card.  Then I put the new card into my Droid.

It has ran much faster and the best since I had my phone with zero lockups or reboots, and I haven't even turned it off in weeks.  I'm loving it now.  It was all because of a defective SD memory card, or at least some bad sectors on it.

0 Likes