Re: Droid 2.0.1 Updates Are Starting Today!
nedaroth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is the manual install

http://www.droidforums.net/

0 Likes
shawnb

nedaroth wrote:

Here is the manual install

http://www.droidforums.net/

Thanks for this link... I saw another article on PhoneArena, but the update.zip was hosted by a comcast.net user, which I was not comfortable with!

At least these instructions give you the link to download directly from Google.

It worked for me, took less than 5 mins.  I had to reboot twice... after the first reboot, the system was very sluggish... so i let it sit for a few minutes, and powered it off and then back on again, and now everything is working normally.

0 Likes
MrHacks

Still waiting for an upgrade in STL.

Patience is a virtue I suppose.

0 Likes
Haggie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just updated my phone on my own using a website that can't be named here...

It was easy to do and the phone is DRAMATICALLY faster. Both in overall operations and in web browsing (I use the Dolphin browser). I wasn't having any camera issues before, so I didn't notice any change there.

Opened all my most active apps. No problems. Looks like a solid update.

Timely updates that improve performance? Google is sure doing a great job of helping Verizon look competenet (or less incompetent). I owned a Moto Q for 2.5 years and never saw an update...

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2
Ii

Haggie wrote:

I just updated my phone on my own using a website that can't be named here...

It was easy to do and the phone is DRAMATICALLY faster. Both in overall operations and in web browsing (I use the Dolphin browser). I wasn't having any camera issues before, so I didn't notice any change there.

Opened all my most active apps. No problems. Looks like a solid update.

Timely updates that improve performance? Google is sure doing a great job of helping Verizon look competenet (or less incompetent). I owned a Moto Q for 2.5 years and never saw an update...

I couldn't resist the temptation to upgrade early either. I am posting this from my freshly upgraded Droid and so far everything is running very smoothly. I haven't tried the camera yet but from what I've read it's significantly improved.

0 Likes
shawnb

My manually updated Droid is working great... although I'm not quite digging the straight unlock slider, or the Droid-ish font on the lock screen clock.  Although I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

I did notice that the Market no longer has the "Verizon" tab, but now shows "Downloads" beside "Apps" and "Games".  Can anyone confirm if this is the case with the OTA push update as well? 

I'm wondering if the update I downloaded from Google per the instructions may be a generic update that lacks some of the specific Verizon branding (or other Verizon "features")... or if it actually is the same update file being pushed OTA?

0 Likes
ilPadrino

So, can anyone tell me when I'll be getting the upgrade? Is there a schedule? I live in the DC area.

I figure I could do the manual upgrade, but I'd hate to take any risk of screwing up my phone and breaking the warranty, and don't mind waiting, but I'd like to get an idea of when it will happen.

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

ilPadrino wrote:

So, can anyone tell me when I'll be getting the upgrade? Is there a schedule? I live in the DC area.

I figure I could do the manual upgrade, but I'd hate to take any risk of screwing up my phone and breaking the warranty, and don't mind waiting, but I'd like to get an idea of when it will happen.

Same here. I'm just up the road from you and no update yet. I also do not want to risk the manual update.  I guess those of us in the large metropolitan areas might be the last to get the upgrade.

0 Likes
hnb

M_R_L wrote:

ilPadrino wrote:

Same here. I'm just up the road from you and no update yet. I also do not want to risk the manual update.  I guess those of us in the large metropolitan areas might be the last to get the upgrade.

Oddly enough, a guy in my office and I both got our Droids the first day they came out, at the same Best Buy Mobile store, and our numbers are in the same area code.  But he got his OTA update the first day they were out and I still haven't gotten mine.  But I'd rather wait than go the manual route.

0 Likes
mricet1005
Enthusiast - Level 2

The other day I read that they were doing 10000 updates the first day and then waiting 48 hours to begin full deployment. It said then that once full deployment starts that they would do 200,000 per day until all done. So the mass push should be beginning in the next day or so if the information was accurate.

While I am anxious to test the new release, I plan to wait tor the OTA just for warranty issues, although it seems many have done the manual update without issue.

0 Likes