Does the potential new display change the contrast ratio???
numb683

This is what has been in the droid incredible since day 1 a 3.7" 480x800 WVGA AMOLED Touch screen and now due to a supposed shortage of these screens by Samsung HTC is switching to Sony’s Super TFT LCD screen. What I want to know is, is it still 480x800 or is it better or worse. I found the bellow story so please weigh in on this.

http://www.slashgear.com/htc-using-super-tft-lcd-displays-to-reinforce-dwindling-stock-2591663/

0 Likes
Re: Does the potential new display change the contrast ratio???
rydiwags

According to the article, it says there will not be a difference!!!

But really, HTC needed to do something since Samsung was just so far behind!!! Hopefully it is true that there is no difference and they can get those screens out soon!!

0 Likes
numb683

I agree that HTC had to do something and if it doesnt change much about the phone and gets it to me faster I am all for it that for sure.

0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, I view this as a good thing because I use my phone outdoors quite a lot and I heard that the AMOLED screen is pretty much useless in bright sunlight and that the other type screen that they are switching to works better outdoors in sunlight. The HTC EVO doesn't have AMOLED, nor does the Apple, nor the forthcoming Motorola Droid X and they work better outdoors.

From what I heard both HTC and Verizon were aware of this problem and that could be part of the reason for the switch as well.

My question is; if I were to get the Incredible how would I find out which screen type it has? Don't want the "original" one with the AMOLED screen.

0 Likes
numb683

Good point about the sun light and I dont know how you'll know which you have other than the article says they have to put which ever it is on the box, it be nice to get to choose but I hear great things about OLED technology when it come to TVs at least.

0 Likes
hope12839
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah I heard the same thing about OLED and TV's too. I guess if you think about it, OLED could work just fine since most tv viewing is done indoors with limited sunlight and it does work very well with higher contrast etc in limited or artificial light, but apparently lousy outdoors in bright sunlight! 

If I decide to get the Incredible I am going to let Verizon know that I want the new one without the OMLED screen and that I will return it immediately if they give me the wrong one and will continue to do so till I get the one I want!

Actually what I would like is to see both types side-by-side outdoors so that I can compare them and see which actually works best.

0 Likes
numb683

Yeah I'd also like to see a side by side demo of the two hand sets and I'm sure someone will have a video up soon on youtube or something.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

A non-amoled screen is certainly a good thing.  Colors won't be as vivid but at least you'll be able to use it outside.

Samsung Galaxy S (super amoled), HTC Desire (amoled), Xperia X10 (tft lcd)

v

Screen Comparison

0 Likes
MrHost
Enthusiast - Level 3

On engadget they have pictures with the differences in sunlight to see. An Samsung, HTC and a sony phone....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....processing....Searching has found results: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/super-amoled-vs-amoled-vs-lcd-in-direct-sunlight-fight/

Dang it..during my processing everyone posted about it..crap..well the article and pics are in the above link.

0 Likes