Re: Do you have problems connecting your MOT Droid to your computer???
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

KidDaveDROID wrote:

Well I have 2 USB cables and the same things happen for each one I try, I used every USB port on my computer and it doesn't matter which one it still wont mount properly and I don't use a hub. I plugged it up to my moms laptop and hers connected right off the back but I didn't leave it in long enough to see if the connection would time out or not.

When I unmount my SD card and put back in wont I have to format it and it would erase every thing?

I haven't tried directly inserting the SD card in a PC.  I would have thought that there would be a formatting difference between Windows and Linux, but if Will says it'll work then I'm sure it will.  Accordingly, if you can read and write to the card directly from Windows, then there should be no need to reformat it.

Another thing you might try is booting your PC in Safe Mode and try to mount the card then.

Also, do you have any networked drives mapped?  Often that can cause a problem, because the PC recognizes the new device as a hardware drive and assigns it the next available drive letter based on the hardware already in the system.  If you have a network drive mapped as that drive letter there could be a conflict.  It wouldn't matter if you were actually connected to the network or not.

0 Likes
KidDaveDROID

How do I go into safe mode? Don't I have to go into the start up menu before the computer turns on?

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

KidDaveDROID wrote:

How do I go into safe mode? Don't I have to go into the start up menu before the computer turns on?

Yes, as the computer boots you'll need to press the F8 key.  You'll want to do this after the initial POST (memory count, HP logo, etc.) but before Windows starts to load.  I usually just start quickly tapping the F8 key shortly after the bootup logo appears.  That's a lot easier than trying to time it just right.

0 Likes
KidDaveDROID

Well I'm going to go try that wish me luck.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

PPC_Dude wrote:

KidDaveDROID wrote:

Well I have 2 USB cables and the same things happen for each one I try, I used every USB port on my computer and it doesn't matter which one it still wont mount properly and I don't use a hub. I plugged it up to my moms laptop and hers connected right off the back but I didn't leave it in long enough to see if the connection would time out or not.

When I unmount my SD card and put back in wont I have to format it and it would erase every thing?

I haven't tried directly inserting the SD card in a PC.  I would have thought that there would be a formatting difference between Windows and Linux, but if Will says it'll work then I'm sure it will.  Accordingly, if you can read and write to the card directly from Windows, then there should be no need to reformat it.

Another thing you might try is booting your PC in Safe Mode and try to mount the card then.

Also, do you have any networked drives mapped?  Often that can cause a problem, because the PC recognizes the new device as a hardware drive and assigns it the next available drive letter based on the hardware already in the system.  If you have a network drive mapped as that drive letter there could be a conflict.  It wouldn't matter if you were actually connected to the network or not.

i've done it too many times with my enV3 and a few with my moto droid (my chosing, not because of any defects) and it works fine.

i'd try the safe mode too, great idea.

0 Likes