Do you have problems connecting your MOT Droid to your computer???
KidDaveDROID

I have a HP Pavilion Dv5 64 bit and for awhile I heard the the windows mobile device center interfered so I removed it and it was stuck on my computer some how, so I rebooted my computer after a back up but now it still wont work. It made a connection a couple of times after but either cut off in mid session or connected and disconnected in an instance... Can some help or at least shed some light on the situation.

0 Likes
Re: Do you have problems connecting your MOT Droid to your computer???
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

KidDaveDROID wrote:

I have a HP Pavilion Dv5 64 bit and for awhile I heard the the windows mobile device center interfered so I removed it and it was stuck on my computer some how, so I rebooted my computer after a back up but now it still wont work. It made a connection a couple of times after but either cut off in mid session or connected and disconnected in an instance... Can some help or at least shed some light on the situation.

you are mounting your droid, right?

just a bit more info is all i'm asking.

0 Likes
KidDaveDROID

Yeah, I mount every time I try.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

KidDaveDROID wrote:

Yeah, I mount every time I try.

try a battery pull for now, but it seems that your problem may reside on your laptop side rather than your droid side if after deleting that program created this mess.

maybe you needed to update the program instead of uninstalling it?

0 Likes
KidDaveDROID

Yeah I was thinking that it was my laptop cause I was reading in other forums that droids have problems with 64 bit vista don't know how true it actually is but that's what I heard.

The program is actually gone now cause I reboot/recovered my hard drive and it worked for like 10 mins, but after I hit unmount on my droid and came back a little later it stopped working.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
I dont recommend 64 bit operating systems right now as there are alot of devices that are not compatible with it. Stick with 32 bit and shave yourselves the headache. Sure it will work.. but not without a work around.
0 Likes
KidDaveDROID

I cant really choose which OS i use with my comp, so how can i work around it?

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

KidDaveDROID wrote:

I don't have a Vista machine to test anymore, but I have Win 7 64-bit with Mobile Device Center installed and I do not have a problem connecting.  One thing that you should make sure of is that you are connecting directly to the computer and not through a USB hub, that can often be an issue, especially on unpowered hubs.  Also, if you are already connecting directly, try a different USB port.

Have you tried to connect the phone to any other PCs?  If you have the same issues with other computers, maybe it's a cable problem.

Theoretically, Mobile Device Center shouldn't be a problem, but you never know. For testing/troubleshooting, you may try disabling Windows Firewall or any third party firewall or anti-virus software that you may have running.  You could also temporarily disable User Access Control and give it a try.

I do not totally agree with reallyniceguy about the 64-bit v. 32-bit OS.  I will admit that there have been problems getting 64-bit drivers for some peripheral devices in the past, but in my experience, that is not nearly as big of an issue anymore.  Granted, if you are still using 5+ year old hardware, you are going to have problems with 64-bit, but most newer devices are either supported natively in Win 64 or have available drivers.  The advantages of 64-bit for me far outweigh the smaller issues of finding suitable drivers.

0 Likes
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

KidDaveDROID wrote:

your abosolutely last option:

unmount your sd card, insert into an sd adapter, plug into you laptop, and transfer that way but the opportunity cost is just too great i believe, but if you are in dire straits, why not?

0 Likes
KidDaveDROID

Well I have 2 USB cables and the same things happen for each one I try, I used every USB port on my computer and it doesn't matter which one it still wont mount properly and I don't use a hub. I plugged it up to my moms laptop and hers connected right off the back but I didn't leave it in long enough to see if the connection would time out or not.

When I unmount my SD card and put back in wont I have to format it and it would erase every thing?

0 Likes