DROID X - Random Camera Failure - anyone else?!
pzimet

I got my Droid X on July 15th, the release day. I subsequently did the software update that popped up on my phone July 23rd. After that, the camera stopped working on my Droid X completely - as in the shutter is open, the camera application starts, but it only shows a black screen. The same goes for the video camera, and any of the applications that use the camera (Google Goggles, etc).

I have read on other forums for Motorola and for the Droid X that this is happening to other people. It seems that others have experienced the same thing - updating the phone when the software update pops up on the Notifications bar, and then the camera no longer works. The camera worked PERFECTLY fine the day before I updated it (July 22).  It's really irritating, and the only "fix" I can seem to come across is to send in my new phone and wait for a replacement - I feel like that won't really be fixing anything, since I can't afford to not have my phone for however long it will take to receive the new one, and since it's a software problem it may just happen all over again.

Everywhere that I see others mentioning this, they have tried a full default reset of the hardware, and software reset, and everything in between and to no avail. This is unacceptable, in my opinion, and there must be an answer.

Has anyone else experienced a random camera failure after the software update? Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or if Verizon has a real fix in the works other than just replacing the phone with another model (that may experience the same problem all over again)?? Any help would be majorly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: DROID X - Random Camera Failure - anyone else?!
Joeeybd

Hello there

My Droid X  camera was working  perfectly fine was very impressed   but 26th i did the automatic update for the Camera and since then , my camera is blurry , tried to the change the ratio, exposer n also ISO but none worked very vrey disapointed n upset , hoping either google or Motorola come up with solution ASAP .

0 Likes
SavannahsMommy

I received a replacement Droid X because I had the known screen issue where it had went dark.

I got my new phone on Friday evening and the pictures I  have taken since then are not nearly as clear AND the flash does not work.

Verizon is overnighting me a new phone.

I hope to God the camera is as good as the first one, I took some really good pictures with the first Droid X.

0 Likes
BruceLeroy1

I just received my Droid X because I had to wait for my "New Every Two," so it either came with the update already installed or I updated it when I set it up and just didn't notice.

The problem I am having is that no camera operations work. I try to engage the applications, but they will not even start. It sounds similar to your problem and unfortunately I don't think it is a software issue, so it looks like I will have to request a replacement. It is actually making me feel nostalgic about my Blackberry. It was a pretty simple phone with an old school camera, but everything worked extremely well, even after the constant beatings of taking it to work with me.

Has anyone at all found a resolution to the camera just not working?

0 Likes
VZW_Zrock02
Contributor - Level 3

It appears you may be having software issues since the update. A hard reset should help remove any corrupt settings. The instructions for the hard reset are listed below:

To reset your phone to factory settings and erase all the data on your phone,

touch Menu

> Settings

> Privacy

> Factory data reset

> Reset phone.

Warning: All data on your phone will be deleted.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
iceclimbr

I have the black screen for the camera/camcorder issue as well.....a hard reset does not work!  I just did this over lunch break on the recommendation of the motorola tech support people....still having the issue.  Phone is being returned tonight to Verizon store....I'm gonna flip if I have to wait for a new phone!

0 Likes
bryada

Their really needs to be better solutions to 90% of the problems on here other than a factory reset and losing everything you have on the phone. 

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

I also got my phone soon after launch but my issue was a bit different. I could use the camera fine but the image taken was just a solid black image.  I never looked but I think that the hardware shutter was stuck closed.  The issue just resolved itself without any action by me.  It's been 2 months since i've had any issues like that.

So...look at your camera lense and see if the shutter is closed.  Maybe give it a bump and then return it? 

Dj.

0 Likes
NYsMissingStar
Enthusiast - Level 3

mine wouldn't start... and wouldn't save the previous pictures I had taken right before the camera turned itself off... I turned my X off than back and that seemed to have fixed what ever the issue was..

0 Likes