DROID X -- KEYBOARD MALFUNCTIONING
Wetmoref2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey!

This just started yesterday morning:

When I press the keyboard spacebar the cursor will stop moving but continue blinking and the keys will continue to respond {the value will highlight and the suggestion bar will display it} but nothing typed will appear in the [window].

To display the typed values {words, numbers, et.al.} I have to press the {what's that key called? 'go back'; 'recall'}.

But, the keyboard will continue to malfunction until I finally send or post.

Next time I use the keyboard, error will recurr with the first press of the spacebar.

Incidentally, when the malfunction is occuring, even the return and backspace keys do not display -- until the 'recall' is used.

Suggestions?  BTW, I've already tried removing the battery [to reset] and running phone update -- no change.

Explanations?  BTW, I've already contacted customer service -- no response.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DROID X -- KEYBOARD MALFUNCTIONING
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

While I've been the 'Clear Cache' work for the keyboard issues, this is something Motorola is working on getting fixed permanently! In the mean time, you can also use a third party keyboard from the Market. Many have had success with those!

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Are you using 3rd party keyboard(i.e. swype, swiftkey, or FlexT9) or the stock keyboard?

Depending on what you are using go to:

settings-->applications-->manage applications

tap the All tab, and search for the keyboard you are using.  If you are using the stock one it's called multi-touch keyboard

tap on that application in question and use clear data.  You may have to enable it in language and keyboard if you use a 3rd party keyboard(i.e. swype, swiftkey, or FlexT9).

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

"SEARCH" is your friend here....  Plug in "Keyboard" in teh search bar up above and you'll likely find a LOT of similar quesitons answered similar to your issue.

Many people have had good luck resolving general keyboard issues by turning off the Word Prediction feature.  (You using the stock Keyboard or did you install a 3rd party one?)

Settings / Language & Keyboard / Multi-Touch Keyboard Settings / Next word prediction  - turn it off

Otherwise you might want to try to CLEAR CACHE ... let us know if you can't find the procedure using the SEARCH feature up above.

good luck.

0 Likes
Wetmoref2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey.

I'm using the keyboard app installed with the phone, not using a 3rd party. And, I don't use swype.  I wanted to avoid clearing the cache and such because that's never a permanent solution. Clearing cache might remove a fragmented or corrupted file but would erase any record of that fragmentation or corruption. Also, the cause of the error may not actually be in the cache or data files but those erased files would still hold a record which could lead to the cause of the actual problem.

I don't know what caused the problem; however, it does seem to be corrected. I connected my phone to my laptop and ran a McAfee Security Scan on it before I used the laptop's Internet connection to install a Verizon system update. When I tried to update the phone via the Verizon app, over the VZN, a message indicated my phone was up to date and no update was needed. I didn't get that message when I ran the app while networked with my laptop.

The MSC found no errors in the phone's drive; so, I ruled out viruses and such. If I had to select a likely cause, I would have to say either a VZN update was interrupted [or corrupted {possibly by the simultaneous running of another app}] during download or the Back-Up Assistant {which, is run automatically during the stand-by hours [when VZ does seem to load it's updates]} somehow caused a minor fragmentation of the phone's operating system. Having typed that hypothesis, I must admit it does seem weak... but it's the best I got right now.

Thanx,

Wetmoref2[aol]

0 Likes
Wetmoref2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already tried search... the first 12 pages dealt with loading new keyboard apps reported as better than the pre-installed app. I'm not looking through dozens of pages.

A search for "keyboard malfunction" yielded nothing; so, I created this post -- which was obviously the thing to do because it's getting significant attention and none of it has pointed to a previously posted solution to my problem.

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Actually, CLEAR CACHE procedure has been know to fix many ills with GB ... as does a Factory reset, but of course is much more involved and requires a full re-customization of your phone afterwards.  If you're still having intermittent issues, I wold at least start with that (Clear Cache).  Good luck.

0 Likes
galaxie500fb
Contributor - Level 2
Go into the settings for ur keyboard and look for the option to "clear learned words".
0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

While I've been the 'Clear Cache' work for the keyboard issues, this is something Motorola is working on getting fixed permanently! In the mean time, you can also use a third party keyboard from the Market. Many have had success with those!

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

0 Likes
LSUgirlfromBama

The store did a complete factory reset the first time.  Now, it's acting up again.  I just downloaded a new keyboard and we're rockin and rollin!  Thank you so much!!!!

0 Likes