Community Leader
Community Leader

well said

0 Likes
Re: DROID UPDATE WITHOUT NOTICE
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agree again.  But let's face it, even if they did put all that together and send it out, there would still be folks who would claim they didn't get it, didn't see it, didn't read it, didn't understand it, etc.  But at least the info. would be out there.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Agreed. That is why I would actually have it as part of the install itself. you get the notice and instead of it stating install or wait, it has 1 single button, review update and the documents are displayed. Then if someone does not read the documentation, it is real hard to say they didn't get it.  In today's world, 98% of the people out there see the update notice and install it and do NOT know what they are installing. At least this way they could see.

Still will Not solve much as most people will click through and install.

0 Likes
ChipNinja
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be completely honest, when I was working in the industry I wish more people had gotten online to check out tips.  Most of the time customer service will simply quote those that work and if it doesn't they'll transfer to tech support.  People could bypass the aggravation and hold times by just checking online knowledge bases.

I completely agree that slight changes would go a long way, although I think they need to consider other options as well.  To be completely honest, I've spent the last few days checking out ICS - although a different ICS than the update.  It works really well - without all of the extra crap tied to it.  I think having the ability to discuss alternatives and how to approach them would go a long way - even if you don't provide technical support.  Some of these taboo topics are actually run counter customer service.  What do you do when you're a ways away from upgrade and your phone breaks, but can't afford to buy a new phone outright?  The solution I provided people may have been a bit hackey, but it prevented customers from cancelling their contracts because it worked - and AT&T for example is actually happy if you can resolve their customers issues even if it does fall outside of their normal procedures/policies.

Same thing here.  When you've got unhappy customers, you should be willing to help them reach a resolution and solve their issue.  I've had (and implemented) a solution to the OP's issue the first day when I posted.  Unfortunately due to a high level of censorship, I am unable to provide a solution to those that are unhappy with the current state of their phone.  There are ways of limiting bad information being cross-linked, but even if you don't do that, a simple disclaimer stating you won't provide customer support for such topics should be enough to cover your own bases.

Maybe it's just the hacker/developer in me.  But when you're providing a good or service, I believe that all solutions should be considered when you're trying to assist customers with your product.  If you don't personally have the answer, but someone has an unsupported method - well at least you're getting tech support from a worker you don't have to pay!

ChipNinja
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look into apps such as DroidWall on the Play Store.  It's worked perfectly for keeping my phone from using data, and keeps unwanted apps from having any internet access.  Before you run it though, make sure to take a look at the program's description... and do some googling.  DroidWall can block any and all data use as needed using typical firewall type filters, so its definitely worth the free price tag.

ChipNinja
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the interest of actually providing support, I've got some contact info up temporarily.  This thread doesn't seem to have too many active participants, but keep in mind if it gets out of hand I've got to prioritize my work/development activity over responses.

0 Likes
bearupnorth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't text but I get regular crappy little "free" advertising texts from Verizon. Why couldn't they text all phones that way and provide a link to the release notes? Surely that can't cost more than the little useless texts I already get??? And keep customers happier...?! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
bearupnorth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! You're very helpful.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I would agree with that. Anything would be better then what they do now

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

IWANTMYPHONE I understand how difficult it is when you're device is changed after being use to certain functionalities. Our software updates are pushed to enhance your phone and not cause any issues. I'm sorry you're having so many difficulties. Although we can't change your phone back to the previous software, we can trouble-shoot the current issues you're having. Have you tried to perform a factory reset on your device? Here are the steps http://tiny.cc/zinznw . Please keep us posted on how your phone is working after the reset. ^KH

0 Likes