DROID 3 - Souper Android Development app
DFVG415

Have been searching for a resolution to an issue that I found when browsing the updates for my apps.  When browsing my apps i found an app i had not downloaded and am unable to uninstall it from my phone.  The app is called Souper Android Development and i have not been able to find a way to remove it from my phone.  Has any found a resolution to this issue.

0 Likes
Re: DROID 3 - Souper Android Development app
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try to uninstall from the settings.

Menu button > settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > scroll down to the application > select it and press the uninstall button

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I searched both My phone an the Market on my Computer an still came up Zero!!!

0 Likes
Iria0000
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not uninstallable.  There are multiple posts around the Web about it.  It's also appearing as "Brett Henderson."  The comments that you see in Google Play are the same no matter which app you have.  It's unclear where it's come from and nothing has been said, yet, by either Verizon or Google.

It's also not hit the Web as a big story, which is probably because it seems isolated on Droid 3s.

0 Likes
David_R
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ann154 wrote:

Try to uninstall from the settings.

Menu button > settings > applications > manage applications > all tab > scroll down to the application > select it and press the uninstall button

Ann154: Doesn't work.  This app randomly appeared in "My Apps" on my Droid 3 a day or two ago, without a title, icon, or uninstall button.  Nothing matching it appears in Settings > Applications.  Google for '"Souper" Android Development' (put "Souper" in quotes so Google doesn't autocorrect) and look at the articles on DroidForums.net and xda-developers.com.  Here's what I can glean from what I'm seeing:

1) This only seems to be affecting Droid 3 users for some reason.

2) The app suddenly appears in "My Apps" in Google Play without any permission given by the user.

3) The app has no title, no icon, and is from developer "Souper Android Development".

4) Apparently the app used to appear as being from developer "Brett Henderson", but changed to "Souper" within the last day or two.

5) No uninstall button is provided in Google Play.

6) No corresponding app appears in Settings > Applications.

7) Some people are reporting drained batteries, possibly from Google Play constantly trying to update, but I have not experienced this.

😎 Some users have reported performing a master reset on their phone, only to have the "app" reappear.

9) It is unclear what, if any, function this "app" performs, let alone malicious.

Google seems to have been goofing around over the last couple of weeks with how apps appear in "My Apps", especially with updating inbuilt apps.  I half-wonder if this is some glitch on Google's part, and there really isn't an unauthorized app sitting on my phone, just some bogus record associated with Google's app store.

Anyway, regardless of what this "app" actually is (or isn't), Google/Verizon needs to squash this pronto, because there's a lot of upset Droid 3 users out there worried that some unauthorized app has just deposited itself on their phone and could be doing who knows what.

And if this app has appeared on your phone, make sure to scroll to the bottom of the app's page and "Flag as Inappropriate", with "Harmful to phone or data" as the reason.  If those reports pile up, Google will have to take notice.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

This App that was showing up on the Droid 3's Only has been Pulled By Google:  Click on Link to Read

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/28/potentially-harmful-app-called-souper-android-development-invad...