DROID 3 KEYBOARD AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE
SamAlex12

Hey everyone,

I didn't seen a location for Droid 3 discussions so I'm here. The keyboard on my Droid randomly stopped working one day. Certain buttons either don't enter, enter multiple times, or bring up a completely different screen. I went to a Verizon store and received terrible service. The employee was more concerned with chatting with her coworkers than helping me. She proceeded to tell me that I just need to "pop my battery once a week to rest my phone" and that it was "working fine." As soon as I walked out of the store I tested the keyboard. Still faulty! Has this keyboard problem happened to anyone else? I need to find out how to actually receive help as well and get my phone working.

Mind you, I've only had this phone a few months.

Thanks!

-Sam

0 Likes
Re: DROID 3 KEYBOARD AND BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE
PDub4

Hi Sam, I too have the same issue with the Droid 3.  My problem runs a little deeper though.  I also had this same problem with two Droid 2's. Not just one, but two.  Verizon Customer Service was amazing though in replacing each phone.  Excellent service.  Now I am seeing the same problem on my Droid 3.  I've had it for 5 months and suddenly I'm seeing that I'll tap the space bar and it doesn't move it.  Or I'll tap it once and it moves it twice.  Certain buttons won't work on mine either, but it's not always a problem that I can replicate.  I'd recommend calling verizon.  There's got to be a lot of people that have this problem and I don't know why it's happening so consistently  over the droid platform.  Something is happening to these phone over time where the keyboard part just starts to fail.  I don't know if its the physical keyboard hardware or a software problem.  Either way, I would love to know how to solve it.  The keyboard is the best part about these droid phones in my opinion. It's why I chose this model for myself.  I do a lot of typing on the phone and I need a keyboard that consistently stays awesome.

PDub

0 Likes
Krystalrose101

I'm also having keyboard problems.  There are keys that tend not to type in most of the time and if I purposely hit the key harder to make sure it enters then I get double letters.  It is very frustrating but I don't want to go through the hassle of getting a replacement.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning SamAlex,

That sounds very inconvenient! I know I would be upset if my keyboard was unresponsive.

First, I recommend running the device in safe mode for a while to determine if third party apps may be causing the issue.

http://bit.ly/oMhxWu

Should the problems continue, a hard reset would be the next step.

http://bit.ly/n1gYBs

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport 

0 Likes
RHargra
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had a similar problem with my Droid 3.  When I use the R key I get a series of unrelated letters.  I went to a Verizon store here in town and they were not helpful at all.  I was told the only thing left to try was a factory re-set.  I am reluctant to do this because I also have my office email linked to this phone and if I reset it I will need to have my IT guy reinstall it and that is costly.  There is no guarantee that a re-set will fix the issue either.  I was told that if I got a warranty replacement that because my phones finish is wearing off that it's likely I would be charged full retail for the new phone.  So I am stuck with a faulty phone and no fix in sight. My phone is only five months old.  Very disappointed in the customer service, especially since I have had this account for many years.

0 Likes
razrtothemaxx

If the problem is with the virtual keyboard, try going into your manage applications and find your multi-touch keyboard under the "all" tab. Tap on it and clear the data/cache. It should help immediately. If it's the physical keyboard, it might mean that the physical keyboard is defective. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
rangerdoc

Nice for Verizon to offer a solution in here. Unfortunately, it is obviously not a single user issue if all of us have keyboard problems. Safe mode or factory reset are not the answer. I have a space bar that activates other keys and as time goes on more keys are starting to fail or display random things when pressed.

I also cannot get the ringtone to change. I was hoping the new software update would fix this but it didn't. I am stuck on Droid Speaks and I hate that everyone can hear who is calling me. How can I get the ringtone to change??!!!

0 Likes
PDub4

I want to add to my earlier comment from before...

Going to the local Verizon store to get this fixed, or to get their help is totally worthless.  You have to talk to someone via the phone.  The store employees will look at you like you speak a whole other language.... Another thing I would like to add is that my problems with this issue became much worse with two separate phones after I went through an xray machine at the airport on two separate occasions.  I have no idea if it's just a coincidence or if something about an x-ray machine messes around with the phone.  I just don't know.  But it's frustrating.

I did follow the advice of the Verizon Customer Service guy in this thread that said to load the phone in safe mode (ahhh, just like working with the crappy Windows PC) and I did see that it worked better in that mode. Again... this is the physical keyboard I am talking about... not the virtual.  I need the physical keyboard which is the only reason I bought this phone.  When the physical keyboard starts wigging out its upsetting and my time becomes wasted.  I have to delete text that I never typed because the keyboard is adding and deleting things that I never typed.  I have since deleted 90% of all my apps that I've added.  That was about 9 apps btw.  Not very many.  Even paid apps.  I was sorry to see them go but I need a working functional keyboard.  Out of the box the thing works great, but over time it starts to get Alzheimer's or it gets schizophrenia.  Both are not pleasant to deal with. 

This text was not typed via the phone - it was at my computer.  Time saved with a working keyboard was approx 20 minutes.  Time = $$

0 Likes
lor2327

I've had the same exact problem with my phone.  I allowed the Verizon worker to do the hard reset on my Droid 3 and he did not tell me I needed to take out my SD card before he did it so I lost all of my pictures and it still didn't help at all.  When I use the keyboard it continues to either skip letters that I have pressed or shows up 2 or 3 times in a word.  Has anyone gotten any good advice about this issue because so far the advice my verizon has given me doesn't fix the problem.  I am hesitant to get a refurbished phone if the same thing is going to happen to that one too.

0 Likes