Custom Sounds?
Poppafred
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it possible to set a custom sound for incoming text messages?

The available notifications are inaudible from a distance of more than 5 feet except for the "droid" drone voice. If you are across the room even that is hard to hear.

All my previous cell phones had the capability of recording a custom sound and setting that as the notification sound. I cannot find that ability on this Samsung Charge.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Custom Sounds?
Poppafred
Enthusiast - Level 2

THANK YOU!!!

I will dump my other ringtone maker and stick wiyh Ringdroid from now on!

AWESOME!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
This application will let you create custom ringtones and set them as active tones on the device.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.ringdroid

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Poppafred
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't need a ringtone maker.

Besides, the Charge does not use ringtones for notifications.

I can't seem to find what kind of file or where it is stored for text notifications.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can use Ringdroid to set up custom notification tones too.

Custom ringtones, notifications, and alarms tones should be saved in the following folder structure on the sd card.

Sdcard drive:\media\audio\ringtones
Sdcard drive:\media\audio\notifications
Sdcard drive:\media\audio\alarms

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Poppafred
Enthusiast - Level 2

THANK YOU!!!

I will dump my other ringtone maker and stick wiyh Ringdroid from now on!

AWESOME!

0 Likes
nerodog

Im having the same issue. Can anyone help??

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@nerodog
Please remove you phone number from the device listing. The whole world can see it now! You should put your device model name in there.

What phone do you have? If you have an android phone, try the steps above. Post back if you have additional questions.

0 Likes
nerodog

Phone number removed - thank you!

I have a Samsung Charge.

I bought a few tones off Verizons website and was able to download them to "My Flies" then I can see and play them under the "download" tab when a touch the screen and select "sound player". Then pressing the key on the bottom left that looks like an = sign in a box Im able to selct " set as" but it doesnt give me an option for text alert tones, just ringtones and alarms.

Im missing something.......

0 Likes
nerodog

Ive been searching the internet for a couple of hours and cant find anything on how to do this either.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Move the ringtone files to the folder structure listed above. Put the phone ringtones in the ringtones folder and move/copy the ringtone files to the notifications folder for text message and email notification tones. You can have the same file in both folders and have them available in the ringtone selection list.

0 Likes