Crashes during music play
phantom_enigma

ONLY after installing Gingerbread, I can be listening to music with any music app (including the default one built-in) and the phone will randomly shut off in the middle of a song, any songs. I had a CLNR sent to me and the same thing occurred the same day. I have seen some people reporting the same issue online but not in the Verizon Community forums. Has anyone else had this issue or know what the cause is?

0 Likes
Re: Crashes during music play
Wildman
Legend

Did you try clearing the system cache?

Power Off / Press and hold Home and Power until seeing DROID with asterisks / Press Volume Up and Down / Use volume buttons to move down to clear System Cache / Press Power Button.

After done select Reboot and press power button again...

0 Likes
phantom_enigma

Tried that per your suggestion, issue still occurs. I have also reformatted the SD card and that also didn't fix it. It appears to be SD card-related though because it does not happen with any web-streaming apps (ie. Pandora, YouTube).

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it could be the card but perhaps it's like anti-virus, they fight each other, maybe the same thing with multiple music players on same phone.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello bearone21,

Thank you for your feedback.  It is possible for the cause to be the card.  Phantom_enigma are you still experiencing the issue? Have you tried a different card or a reset to the device.  If you are still experiencing this please let me know so I can further assist you.  Thank you. 

0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2
Hmm, i just experienced this problem for myself today. I have read this is a gingerbread issue but i am really looking for a resolution this happened to me 3 times today, once yesterday but i was alsi running ither apps so I thought that was the cause.
0 Likes
JadeComputerGal

I'm having a very similar issue except that it's not related to my SD card, and I'm desperate to find a solution. This phone used to be like my best friend, but every since the Gingerbread "upgrade," I spend an increasing amount of time fighting the temptation to throw it in the trash. I've been waiting for the Bionic for almost a year and I'm hoping to either find an answer before then since I feel like I just can't take this for another month even if it is released in August.

My crashes aren't occasional. I've had them happen as often as 18 times per day, and always when I'm listening to audio,and it's not related to the application. It happens with the stock player, Audible, TuneIn, and Pandora. The phone just suddenly shuts down and it's often next to impossible to get it to restart. I've cleared the system cache and removed almost every app that insists on running in the background, other than Lookout and the stupid stuff Verizon doesn't let you remove.

I'd be very grateful for any help. Audio is about 70% of what I use the phone for since I listen to streaming radio all day at work. I'd be willing to do a factory reset and go through the irritation of reinstalling and reconfiguring all my apps if I could find any evidence that would resolve the problem, but all the posts I've seen from people who have tried that say it didn't make any difference :smileysad:

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I can't speak to Tunein or Audible - I assume they're streaming APPS like Pandora?  Anyway, I know for a fact that Pandora has an issue with GB. I discovered this 1st hand a week ago --  it will intermittently, yet reproducably, just crash - causing a BLACK screen and system shuts off. The only way I've been able to get it to restart is with a battery pull. Might be worthwhile firing off a REPLY to Pandora just to make sure they continue to know there are problems with their APP.  ditto with the other APPs if they continue to not work properly for you.

good luck.

0 Likes
phantom_enigma
So I found another memory card, an 8GB (was originally using a 16GB). Formatted it, added some music and sure enough, it shut off randomly during music play. This has happened once to me with Pandora, but it was charging at the time and the phone doesn't seem to like music play while charging, so I'm not sure if it is related.
0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Is it ALL music you play, or just STREAMING music?  As I mentioned ealrier, there is a known issue with PANDORA. Have you uninstalled & reinstalled the Music App you are using? (I'd do a SYSTEM WIPE/CLEAR CACHE via the Power Up process in between the uninstall & reinstall)

0 Likes