Copying Music directly to Memory
themadhermit

I created a "Music" directory in the root of the file system and dragged mp3's into it. Unfortunately the stock android music widget does not seem to realize that these files are there and will not list them in the playlist. Does anyone know how I can make the music widget look in that particular folder or the correct folder (and file system setup) that will allow me to just transfer files directly to memory?

It works when I use Windows Media Player to sync but I just want to use the file browser to transfer files.

I can already access the music directory drive on my PC and transfer files. The piece that is missing is the location on the phone to place these files.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Copying Music directly to Memory
gator1
Contributor - Level 1

No, I didn't do anything else.  Just removed the sd card from the phone and inserted it into the slot on the computer.  Went to Explore, highlighted the Music folder, and copied it to the card in drive I (or whichever it was).  Since I copied the entire folder, I didn't have to created another Music folder on sd card.  Placed the card back in the phone, turned it on, went to Music and there were all my songs in the folder.  That's all I did.  Didn't sync anything.  They were in Media Player so maybe the phone synced them by itself.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JRLSNB
Contributor - Level 1

Well, that is EXACTLY how I did it and my music automatically shows up.  One thing though, if you have the phone hooked up to the computer at the same time you are activating the music widget, the files will not show up in the widget because the computer has access to the SD card.  That is the only thing I can see that would cause the widget to not see the music.

0 Likes
gator1
Contributor - Level 1
i transferred my music files directly to the sd card inserted into the computer. i copied the entire music folder to the sd card. when i inserted the sd card back into the phone the music was automatically there. i didn't have to say anything
0 Likes
gator1
Contributor - Level 1
I meant to say i didn't have to SYNC anything. Sorry
0 Likes
themadhermit

Interesting... I wonder, did you sync your phone's music at least one using a media center like app before copying directly? Just wondering if there is a file system setup that occurs if you do this that allows you to subsequently copy directly to memory and have those files discoverable. I will experiment and report back.

0 Likes
gator1
Contributor - Level 1

No, I didn't do anything else.  Just removed the sd card from the phone and inserted it into the slot on the computer.  Went to Explore, highlighted the Music folder, and copied it to the card in drive I (or whichever it was).  Since I copied the entire folder, I didn't have to created another Music folder on sd card.  Placed the card back in the phone, turned it on, went to Music and there were all my songs in the folder.  That's all I did.  Didn't sync anything.  They were in Media Player so maybe the phone synced them by itself.

0 Likes
themadhermit

Alright, I went back to look at it and the files are there and accessible. Not sure if I missed something or if the process of shutting down the phone and starting it back up established the link but in either case, the files are there. Thanks for confirming my suspicion on this.  

0 Likes