Contact Quick Tasks, Gmail, and Facebook
Tyree

This "problem" has been driving me nuts.  I say problem because it annoys me, but it's not a huge deal.  I just want it to WORK.

Anyway, I have problems mostly with contact photos.

When I first got my phone, the initial sync from Facebook to Gmail/DroidX was painless.  It assigned all the current contact photos (what I will call first generation photos) from facebook as expected.  But, it won't update.  I know it doesn't do this natively.  You have to have some third party app to do it.  I've tried a couple (SyncMyPix android app and .Google Contact Sync by heartofangel desktop app)

Right now, I can sync my facebook photos to Gmail with Google Contact Sync without issue.  Works fine.  Only works with contacts that are in your Gmail contacts, not all facebook contacts.  BUT...getting those contact photos onto my phone is where the problems start.

If I look at my list of contacts on my phone, the thumbnail photos in the list are old (second generation photo after a sync a month ago with SyncMyPix, which was a joke...uninstalled).  If I click a contact, then the photo on the details screen is correct (third generation photo after sync with Google Contact Sync).  Why are they different?

Then there's the Contact Quick Tasks widget included in MotoBlur.  Ooooh man.  The pic on there is from the very first load of facebook photos (first generation) and it will NOT release it.  I can delete all widgets and when I put them back, it's that same photo, over and over, no matter what I do.  So, obviously, there's a cache somewhere that is storing that old photo and it will not overwrite it.  Pain in the butt!  And it's from those couple weeks on facebook when everyone was posting photos of cartoon characters.  So, my wife is a pic of freakin' Rainbow Brite!!!  GAH!

Does anyone have any suggestions for this annoyance.  Why are contact photos so unwieldy???  Is it absolutely impossible to get realtime updates of the photos from facebook to my contacts?  That would be sooooo nice.

Thanks!

Matt

0 Likes