Confirmation of Froyo (2.2) Update for Incredible?
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

With the current deal on the Incredible, I was thinking of pulling the trigger on ordering one.  My only question is whether or not anyone knows for sure, or have heard from a Verizon rep if the Incredible will be getting the 2.2 update? 

I also wonder if VZW would cripple the update somehow, as it is will include a wireless hotspot feature, and I am sure they aren't happy about it being so easy to circumvent their overpriced tethering plan. 

0 Likes
Re: Confirmation of Froyo (2.2) Update for Incredible?
mattc3325

Yes their will be an update to 2.2 by HTC not verizon.thwy will have the wireless hotspot feature.

heres the article

http://www.brighthand.com

0 Likes
budone
Legend

mattc3325 wrote:

Yes their will be an update to 2.2 by HTC not verizon.thwy will have the wireless hotspot feature.

heres the article

http://www.brighthand.com

Be aware Verizon CAN and most likely WILL block that option

0 Likes
gpa111

Im 100% sure they will either block it or make you pay for it.

If you have the tethering plan I would imagine you could use it.

0 Likes
mattc3325

you could always ROOT your phone and that will take care of Verizon taking out or charing for the feature. but i'm sure they will tell you that rooting voids any warranty on the phone.

0 Likes
onewithshadows

I am unfamiliar  with rooting as when I get my incredible it will be my first android powered smart phone. After rooting can you not always just got back and reset the phone to its original state so that they wouldn't know that it had been done? Obviously having a wireless hotspot feature would be pretty cool considering I just got my wife a new laptop.

0 Likes
gainesville
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh good,  that means that when mine ships on June 1st, ..... or 9th,......  or 11th, ...  or 14th.... or July 1st, or, or.....  Oh sorry, I digress, perhaps it will come with 2.2 already uploaded... (if it does come)

Also, since VZW doesn't have a problem with the Palm Pre Plus providing WIFI hotspot service ( they even use it as a selling point for the phone)  I would expect them to allow it with Android phones.

0 Likes
mattc3325

With Rooting not sure on it, never attempted just know the basic theory of it. Maybe I will give it a try, I just know if you screw it up "the load files", too bad then that is it for your phone.

I believe Verizon will allow hot spot if they have it on other phones it only make since but as far as an update being done by the time we get our phones who knows!!

0 Likes
cellphone1

I heard that they allowed the hotspot with the Palm to get rid of excess inventory and it will not be allowed at some point without paying for it. So if people bought this phone be prepared to pay for this feature in the future. Nothing good lasts forever!!

0 Likes
jc1175
VZW is actually ran by Motorola which is getting the 2.2 update as of today and the HTC incredible is a hold over even though HTC has it ready and implementing on lesser phones and the evo Verizon needs to stop sucking up to Motorola their phones are not even that great meanwhile the consumer is the one who is getting screwed thanks VZW.
0 Likes