Re: Charge dropping 3G service: "Network not available"
Mysti

I changed yesterday from the Droid X to the Charge.  The Verizon rep at the store updated the phone on-site for me. 

I've experienced the network dropping out as I travel and am already very familiar with the airplane mode on/off trick to get service back.  Once that did not work and it took a reboot to get it back.

It does seem to be tied to signal changes.  It seems to be stable if I stay in one place, but goes out sometimes while I'm mobile.

0 Likes
isosunrise2

Mysti, I also notice this problem the most when I am mobile, usually in the car or walking around.  My trick to get 3G/4G back is to switch between 4G/CDMA... and if that doesn't work, reboot always fixes it temporarily.

0 Likes
mpbclutch33

I contacted VZW with the problems and a link to our thread. This is what they came back with!!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.  My name is Tim and I understand that you've been affected by a known issue with the Charge.  We regret that you've had this experience and I've provided steps in this email that will assist you with a resolutions. I imagine that it's been frustrating for you.

Some of our customers with the Samsung Droid Charge (I510) and a few other Samsung Android devices have reported issues connecting to the following:

Cannot connect to the VZW Data Network

3G Indicator on the device not showing

Cannot access the web

Send text, picture messages, or e-mail.

Two work arounds provided to us from Samsung are listed below.

1.  From the home screen, select Applications.

2.  Select Settings.

3.  Select Wireless & network.

4.  Select Mobile networks.

5.  Select Use packet data.

Enabled when a orange check mark is present.

The next is..,

1.  From the home screen, select and hold the status bar (located at the top of the display).

2.  Drag the window shade to the bottom of the display.

3.  Select Mobile data.

Enabled when a orange indicator is present.

Upon an update to resolve this permanently is created, customers such as yourself will receive the patch over the air to your device.  At this time we do not have a time line to provide as to when this will happen.

Mr. Beam, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to call in.  Our Technical Support Department is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.  The toll free number is 1-800-922-0204 and you'll select Option 3. You can also reach out to me directly at 803-231-1767.  I'm in the office until 4 PM EST, Monday through Friday.  Your call may go to my voicemail, so please leave a message, advising the best time and number to contact you.

Thank you for being a loyal Verizon Wireless customer. We look forward to providing you excellent service for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Timothy

Verizon Wireless

Data Technical Support

0 Likes
BobMano

Thanks for the update.    I just switched to verizon & charge less than a week ago and 4G was the reason why i did the switch.   Unfortunately, my phone switches to 3G and stays on 3G for the most part of the day.   I'm a 4G area and my friend who uses a different phone has 4G all day.   Even while the phone indicates i'm on 3G, the data network doesn't seem to work sometimes.

I called VZ support and spent a couple of hours on the phone while they asked me to try different things including a factory reset that wiped out all my customizations, downloads, etc, all for nothing.

I've still got about a week before i could return the phone and I'm contemplating if I should return it or keep it and wait for a software fix.   I think its unacceptable for a top of the line phone to have such serious issues particularly when VZ is using 4G as the main selling point.   Makes me wonder if I should've stayed with AT&T.

0 Likes
mpbclutch33

Also.... I am using 'Battery Dr. to Save Battery' and if you go to settings when you are not in 3G it shows "Mobile Data= Disconnected". Really getting tired of restarting my phone everytime!!! Ugh..

0 Likes
isosunrise2

Hmm... I am beginning to think it is more a regional issue with the towers.  I purchased the phone a little over a week ago, and have been having a lot of 3G/4G droppping (worst with 3G actually).  Uninstalled most all my apps, switched out sim card, etc... nothing worked...  I am not a newbie either, this is not my first Android phone.  I called in and was issued a ticket a few days ago so still wating for a callback.  Starting yesterday 7/7, the problem seem to have disappeared.  My signals stopped dropping from my home and in the car (used to about 20-30 times a day)... I wonder if they updated something in the towers in the bay area fixing it.  Maybe that is why some people (in certain regions) claim they have no problems, but many others do.  Just my theory... this is day two,

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

mpbclutch33 wrote:

I contacted VZW with the problems and a link to our thread. This is what they came back with!!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.  My name is Tim and I understand that you've been affected by a known issue with the Charge.  We regret that you've had this experience and I've provided steps in this email that will assist you with a resolutions. I imagine that it's been frustrating for you.

Some of our customers with the Samsung Droid Charge (I510) and a few other Samsung Android devices have reported issues connecting to the following:

Cannot connect to the VZW Data Network

3G Indicator on the device not showing

Cannot access the web

Send text, picture messages, or e-mail.

Two work arounds provided to us from Samsung are listed below.

1.  From the home screen, select Applications.

2.  Select Settings.

3.  Select Wireless & network.

4.  Select Mobile networks.

5.  Select Use packet data.

Enabled when a orange check mark is present.

The next is..,

1.  From the home screen, select and hold the status bar (located at the top of the display).

2.  Drag the window shade to the bottom of the display.

3.  Select Mobile data.

Enabled when a orange indicator is present.

Upon an update to resolve this permanently is created, customers such as yourself will receive the patch over the air to your device.  At this time we do not have a time line to provide as to when this will happen.

Mr. Beam, if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to call in.  Our Technical Support Department is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.  The toll free number is 1-800-922-0204 and you'll select Option 3. You can also reach out to me directly at 803-231-1767.  I'm in the office until 4 PM EST, Monday through Friday.  Your call may go to my voicemail, so please leave a message, advising the best time and number to contact you.

Thank you for being a loyal Verizon Wireless customer. We look forward to providing you excellent service for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Timothy

Verizon Wireless

Data Technical Support

Well unfortunately most of us have tried those exact 'fixes' and to no avail.  I'm just hoping that the 'official fix' is simply not an automated version of these 'fixes' that don't work.  The above makes me think that they (VZW & Samsung) still don't know what the issue is. I certainly hope I'm wrong.  I wonder if they've checked on the actual sensitivity of the radios in the Charges relative to other phones.  That's what concerns me. If that's the real issue, there's nothing that can be done short of a redesigned phone.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

mpbclutch33 wrote:

Also.... I am using 'Battery Dr. to Save Battery' and if you go to settings when you are not in 3G it shows "Mobile Data= Disconnected". Really getting tired of restarting my phone everytime!!! Ugh..

What that app is telling you is exactly what we already know, 'no data connectivity'.

0 Likes
ukrkoz

well, call me stupid. we have Droid Charge and Samsung Continuum in the same house. Continuum is rock solid on 3G. Charge will pop 4G for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. Also, after 3 weeks of having phone, it had it all fine originally, and now network connection is gone.

like i said - call me stupid, looks like phone issue, not network issue.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

ukrkoz wrote:

well, call me stupid. we have Droid Charge and Samsung Continuum in the same house. Continuum is rock solid on 3G. Charge will pop 4G for about 2 seconds and then it goes away. Also, after 3 weeks of having phone, it had it all fine originally, and now network connection is gone.

like i said - call me stupid, looks like phone issue, not network issue.

I'd agree, it's the design of the Charge that manifests itself under certain conditions & locations that other phones will have no problems.

0 Likes