Re: Charge dropping 3G service: "Network not available"
isosunrise2

I have issues in a high converage 4G area (San Francisco).  Both the Verizon tech via phone and CSR at a local store claim that they have been receiving a lot of complaints and issuing tickets, so I highly doubt it is a small number that you are pulling out of your head.  Maybe it is a regional issue, only areas with 4G coverage is having problems?

0 Likes
andyl52

Are you running JuiceSaver?  For me the solution was simple.  I just disabled the JuiceSaver app and all works just fine now.  JuiceSaver is probably shutting down or interfering with the new 4g/3g feature, thereby causing the network service to drop.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

isosunrise2 wrote:

I have issues in a high converage 4G area (San Francisco).  Both the Verizon tech via phone and CSR at a local store claim that they have been receiving a lot of complaints and issuing tickets, so I highly doubt it is a small number that you are pulling out of your head.  Maybe it is a regional issue, only areas with 4G coverage is having problems?

Yup. I'll never understand why some guys come to threads designed to report problems, only to state they have no issues and it must be a small number of people and must only involve some 'tweaking' of the 4G system.

HoustonHeart doesn't bother to research the issue, but instead bases his assumptions on only his experience, not the many many others in many areas of the country where people are having these data issues.  A simply Google of Android forums will educate HoustonHeart if he so wishes. I won't do the research for him.

Even VZW has acknowledged there IS an issue and they are researching it with Samsung.  That doesn't sound like a system 'tweaking'  issue to me.  Additionally, these data issues can occur not only in mixed 4G/3G areas, but also in 3G only areas where there is no 4G signal for many miles. When these data issues are occurring, a 3G only phone right next to you can receive the data with no problem whatsoever.  This is a scenario that's been repeated across the country and reported in many forums. It leads many to believe that the radio in the Charge is just not as sensitive as it is in 3G only phones.  I've had this experience many times myself as my wife's 3G only Iphone on VZW has no problems with data at the same time & place where my Charge stalls.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

andyl52 wrote:

Are you running JuiceSaver?  For me the solution was simple.  I just disabled the JuiceSaver app and all works just fine now.  JuiceSaver is probably shutting down or interfering with the new 4g/3g feature, thereby causing the network service to drop.

Andy, we all wish it were that simple. There seems to be no app that is doing this. I have never had JuiceSaver and still have the issues. I've had 2 Charges and both manifested the issue before I ever loaded additional apps. Many times people ask about a particular app in relation to this issue and I've never seen this as a generic fix. I'm betting the radio in the Charge is just not as sensitive or suffers from some quirks in certain areas where other 3G only phones don't.

0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

HoustonHeart wrote:

Some users having issues out of severla thousand is not a large majority. All new networks have spot issues as they increase coverage over time. I have seen the same issues on my old phone before dropping in similiar regions. I noticed better switching after the EE4 update and after changing the ping frequency manually.

Yes it needs to be looked at and fixed, but it clearly is not a incident affecting all Charge users, nd all hardware. Keep in mind tweaking will take time. Just like the Iphone 4 was an utter pain for soem time after launch.

--

Even 500 complaints is not even 2% of users.

--

Some units may be defective, my first Charge could not hold a charge, and while chargign would actually decrease., the replacement isn't having any issues.

Do you have a link to the tons of forums and complaints of different people so I can read up on locations where they are having issues? I mean we have 4 units in our family and they are all fine (minus the one defective unit).

I guess I don't understand the motivation of people who come into forum threads like this and for the most part dismiss the issues we are having. Nothing better to do?

0 Likes
DL1234

So here is the story:  I am on my 5th Charge.

Completely Stock, only accepted the EE4 update.  This happens.  It has happened 5 times.  I am in a 3G coverage area only, my area is slated to get 4G July 21st.

My wife's iPhone (I swapped her Charge for an iPhone so that she wouldn't have this problem) seems to work flawlessly, although it does seem to eat more battery than her AT&T iPhone.  Hopefully she will be grandfathered into unlimited still when she finally gets to switch to a 4G phone.

2 of the Charges did this Horribly( I restarted one about 20 times and could only get 1x, if I had network at all, until it finally locked back on to 3G) , the one that I am keeping seems to do it much less frequently.

Is it a hardware problem?  Is it a software problem?  Only Samsung and Verizon can possibly figure that out.  It could just be that the baseband for the modem is a bit buggy, it could be the antenna causing problems, or it could be a bad piece of solder.. who knows...

Now what I expect from Verizon though is more of a, " We will make it right, we are working with Samsung to discover what the issue may be, and we will work on a fix for it."  At least that gives assurances that if it's hardware, they will swap it out, if it is software, we will get a patch.

CMC220 LTE baseband and the VIA Telecom 7.1 are in the phone, so it is different than most other EVDO phones.  Most use Qualcomm, so there is probably some more tweaking that can be done to get a software fix out.

0 Likes
HoustonHeart
Contributor - Level 2

CAn you kindly provide a link to Verizons awknowledgement of the issue you are claiming.

Once again it is NOT all units. Clearly.

I read posts and count on this forum and we are not even reaching 15 people across the whole board. Repeat posts like yours do not count.

Now if in certain areas it could be an issue on how the unit recieves the data to synch to the network. Yet post EE4 I haven't had any issues (manual install not OTA which many are reporting their issues began).

WHich update are you running?

What areas do you ahve the issue in?

Have you done a ping mode test and bandwith test to see if you have a pattern in data packet loss?

It's not an issue here. It seems people are complaining after OTA updates, which can be issues with the phones. That is why I download and move them to the card then update. I had a old phone toasted by a OTA. Clearly there were issues that need to address on some models, and yes it seems their are quarky units out there.

Pray they get off Froyo and onto 2.3.4.

Issues are to varied. Liek I said I can state other wise on reception becuase I go out to Jones Creek Texas, where people have issues all around, except for the nextel tower.

THe charge gets at least 1-2 bars where my other devices had no service at all. SO it better i nthat aspect for me.

Outside the ara a little bit I pick 3g back up and at times it will drop to 1x. Clearly its a location to tower issue, rather then interference out in farm land.

Not all devices are perfect, each can have bugs. Not all. WIth the number of units sold, you would need several hundred thousand to be a large amount of users.

0 Likes
gemro311

Well..I am now waiting for my 3rd Charge ..This is getting a little ridiculous . But as long as Verizon is willing to work with me and send me a new phone ....hopefully one of these phones will work with 3g on a constant basis. Must say Verizon has been very understanding. I truly appreciate that .   My wife and several friends  Charge do not  (knock on wood) exhibit this issue.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

HoustonHeart wrote:

CAn you kindly provide a link to Verizons awknowledgement of the issue you are claiming.

Once again it is NOT all units. Clearly.

I read posts and count on this forum and we are not even reaching 15 people across the whole board. Repeat posts like yours do not count.

Now if in certain areas it could be an issue on how the unit recieves the data to synch to the network. Yet post EE4 I haven't had any issues (manual install not OTA which many are reporting their issues began).

WHich update are you running?

What areas do you ahve the issue in?

Have you done a ping mode test and bandwith test to see if you have a pattern in data packet loss?

It's not an issue here. It seems people are complaining after OTA updates, which can be issues with the phones. That is why I download and move them to the card then update. I had a old phone toasted by a OTA. Clearly there were issues that need to address on some models, and yes it seems their are quarky units out there.

Pray they get off Froyo and onto 2.3.4.

Issues are to varied. Liek I said I can state other wise on reception becuase I go out to Jones Creek Texas, where people have issues all around, except for the nextel tower.

THe charge gets at least 1-2 bars where my other devices had no service at all. SO it better i nthat aspect for me.

Outside the ara a little bit I pick 3g back up and at times it will drop to 1x. Clearly its a location to tower issue, rather then interference out in farm land.

Not all devices are perfect, each can have bugs. Not all. WIth the number of units sold, you would need several hundred thousand to be a large amount of users.

As I and other posters have asked, what exactly is your intent venturing into threads that address problems you have no issues with?  I would never venture into threads for problems my phone doesn't have, but you seem to enjoy it as well as minimizing what tons of us are experiencing.

Upgrading the OS will have zero effect on this issue.  How do you KNOW that your phone doesn't have the same issue under the same circumstances & conditions that those that are experiencing it do?  I'd bet almost anything that your phone would behave EXACTLY like all of ours. I can go into areas and have no problems, but I can venture into other areas where I WILL have a problem and that same area will have ZERO effect on a 3G only phone.  What part of that don't you understand? I believe you are 100% wrong, I DO believe that EVERY SINGLE CHARGE has this issue, it's just a question of whether or not you venture into the areas where this will manifest itself.  And again, before you say "oh, the system just needs tweaking", this can occur in 3G ONLY areas where a 3G ONLY phone has ZERO issues.

Clearly the Charge is NOT reacting properly to the EXACT SAME CONDITIONS that a 3G only phone does without any issues.  I can't make it any clearer to you and nobody else seems to have the difficulty grasping this that you do. I live in the N.Y. area and others reporting this issue live in California, Texas and areas all over the country.

You're not having a problem in YOUR area, wonderful, we get it!  WE ARE AND IT IS THE PHONE! Just about everyone has the latest EE4 update that did NOT resolve the issue that VZW claimed it would.  If you read the update, you would see that even back then VZW knew there was a problem...IT WAS SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED IN THE UPDATE. No, I'm not going to pull out the update verbiage for you too.

You might ask yourself how is it possible for a 3G only phone in the SAME AREA AT THE SAME TIME AT THE SAME LOCATION to have no issues at all? Gee, could it be the Charge?

Again, I'm not doing the research for you, I already did because I am motivated. You only seem to be motivated to come here and tell us how you have no problems and it's not the phone.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

DL1234 wrote:

So here is the story:  I am on my 5th Charge.

Completely Stock, only accepted the EE4 update.  This happens.  It has happened 5 times.  I am in a 3G coverage area only, my area is slated to get 4G July 21st.

My wife's iPhone (I swapped her Charge for an iPhone so that she wouldn't have this problem) seems to work flawlessly, although it does seem to eat more battery than her AT&T iPhone.  Hopefully she will be grandfathered into unlimited still when she finally gets to switch to a 4G phone.

2 of the Charges did this Horribly( I restarted one about 20 times and could only get 1x, if I had network at all, until it finally locked back on to 3G) , the one that I am keeping seems to do it much less frequently.

Is it a hardware problem?  Is it a software problem?  Only Samsung and Verizon can possibly figure that out.  It could just be that the baseband for the modem is a bit buggy, it could be the antenna causing problems, or it could be a bad piece of solder.. who knows...

Now what I expect from Verizon though is more of a, " We will make it right, we are working with Samsung to discover what the issue may be, and we will work on a fix for it."  At least that gives assurances that if it's hardware, they will swap it out, if it is software, we will get a patch.

CMC220 LTE baseband and the VIA Telecom 7.1 are in the phone, so it is different than most other EVDO phones.  Most use Qualcomm, so there is probably some more tweaking that can be done to get a software fix out.

Don't tell this to HoustonHeart because he'll tell you it's NOT your phone.  Unreal.  We get new posters with this problem every single day on every single of the many forums that discuss this issue.  But this guy will tell you it's only a 'handful'.  He ignores the fact that VZW has said it is working with Samsung to find a solution.  Does that indicate to any rational person that this is a 'tweaking' of the 4G network?  Gimme a break!

0 Likes