Re: Charge dropping 3G service: "Network not available"
DL1234

I'm on my 4th charge, and this one won't even get on 1x after about 10 or so restarts to test it out.  Think I may go back to iPhone.

0 Likes
macman90

Hi,

I just became a new Samung Droid Charge user having come from the iPhone, T-Mobile MyTouch 4G (no problems with connectivity), and switchng to Verizon and getting the HTC Thunderbolt (which I like) and have noticed that the 3G and 4G signals on the Charge are the worst.  I do however like the phone and am getting used to it but trying to hold a signal and continue to use the Charge as a hotspot is extremely trying. I am actually using my wife's LG Revolution as a hotspot as I type this.  My Charge stays on 1X for the longest time but I am still able to use the hotspot sometimes but it's extremely slow and not worth trying to stay connected.  

I have come to the conclusion that it is not the LTE coverage because I have 4G coverage in my area (MI) and the Thunderbolt worked (after the TB upgrade) and my wife's new LG Revolution maintains both 3G and 4G connections but the Charge will not unless I restart the phone which is a pain.  When I received the phone I updated it.  I should have waited before updating just to see if the connection would hold but being in a rush and not knowing that the update may cause an issue I did so anyway.

I really don't want to return the Charge because I really do like it (the screen resolution is awesome).  The battery life is much better than on the Thunderbolt and the Revolution.  I just wish that either Samsung or Verizon comes out (quickly) with an upgrade to fix this connection issue...... please!!!

Macman90

0 Likes
isosunrise2

I am having the same issue with my Droid Charge in San Francisco, with both 4G and 3G.  A Verizon tech has also swap out my SIMS card, but the problem is still there.  I hope Samsung/Verizon releases a fix soon.

0 Likes
isosunrise2

I want to add due to the constant data dropping/switching, the battery also drains like crazy for me, roughly 8% per hour doing nothing... When I disable mobile data, it is back to normal.  This is in a high 3G/4G area.

0 Likes
mpbclutch33

I too am having the same problem as everyone else. It is really dissappointing to say the least. To buy a $300 phone which is "supposed" to be the latest and greatest. I love everything else about the phone, but losing internet connectivity. Afterall, what am I paying $100 a month for again?! Would love to hear from VZW about a solution to this. It's not right.....

0 Likes
anonyguy

Add me to the list of affected users.  I gave the phone the "Benefit of the doubt" at first - now I am a regretful +30 day owner stuck with a $300 paperweight.  This is the third time I've been burned by Verizon's crappy firmware on their devices.  I've tried different manufacturers and each time the result is the same.  Verizon insists on installing a lot of their own crap into custom firmware which means they are always 2 or 3 updates "behind" what the phone manufacturer is currently offering.  23 months and I'll be lucky enough to switch over to a better data provider.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2
There's no point swapping the Charge out since this data problem is inherent in either the design of the phone or the interaction between the phone and the VZW 4G/3G network. You can go through 100 of these phones and your results won't change UNTIL VZW and/or Samsung addresses this. In the meantime we're left swinging in the breeze.
0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will be calling in today to report my similar experience.  I don't know that just posting in a forum will get as much attention as calling to report an issue. 

FYI...setting the phone to strictly 3G is NOT a solution to this issue.  I have my phone set that way since I'm not in a 4G area and I'm still having the "Network not available..." issue.

0 Likes
Booch

curtisdr--That is a very good idea.  As we have seen, Verizon has been totally irresponsible in providing any insight and assistance to its customers.  By calling, at least someone else is made aware of the situation.

I have lost all respect for Verizon.

0 Likes
arharris

I have called both Verizon and Samsung and have only been in contact with one person at Verizon that admits to the problems with the Charge. He tried all he could including replacing the phone and a special reset. I talked to one expert in the field and he said until they get an update with Gingerbread there is no hope. Has anyone else heard this?

0 Likes