Car charger and "extra battery" - tested and they work!
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

From Amazon.com.  I have purchased these two and have tested them., They work.

Kensington Car Charger for Mobile Devices with USB Port - 9.99 free ship

This charger has a standard USB port and fits a car power outlet perfectly. In fact I am going to get another and leave them in both cars.

Tekkeon TekCharge MP1800 - 36.90 with free ship (thanks to willanaya for bringing this product to my attention).

This "extra battery" is actually a stand-alone battery that could charge the Droid multiple times. It comes with various charge connectors the most important being the mini USB and micro USB (for the Droid).

The Droid comes with a wall plug with a USB port. The MP1800 is charged from a mini USB port but since it comes with a USB cable and a mini USB connector, you can charge the MP1800 using the Droid wall charger. Once the MP1800 is charged, it can directly run the Droid or simply charge the Droid battery.

The MP1800 is a little bulky to carry in your pocket. It is also a flashlight. I think I need to get another wall charger with USB port so I can have one in my office and one at home. I am definitely getting another car charger (at 9.99) and another USB to micro USB cable and a USB to mini USB cable so both cars will have a complete charger for either the Droid or the MP1800.

I am planning a 9 hour driving trip and plan to use the Droid to listen to my Pandora stations. My car audio system has an aux input port (I purchased a cable from Radio Shack) so I can plug in the Droid. The car trip will take me out of any ATT coverage but not Verizon coverage - so I expect to be able to listen to Pandora the entire way.

0 Likes
Re: Car charger and "extra battery" - tested and they work!
willanaya
Contributor - Level 3

that sounds great.  now i know which one to buy. i was considering the other similar chargers on amazon.com.

in my job, i often arrive early and listen to my mp3's and read my ebooks.  this puts a drain on my phone.

i need my phone throughout the job site i am at and having a "backup battery" will give me peace of mind.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

On Amazon I got 2 dual usb port car chargers for less than 5 bucks.  They work great and the light is blue so it looks cool to me in the car as well.  Charges my phone and my wife's phone at the same time.  The one in her car I am sure will be able to charge her phone and her Kindle at the same time.  In fact for 25 bucks I got 2 earbuds that work great, 2 dual usb port car chargers, and a dual usb port travel wall charger.  Today for 15 bucks I bought two car mounts.  And yesterday for about $10 bucks I got 2 retractable usb cords that we can keep with us without them getting tangled or taking up a lot of room so we can do data syncing and plug in the car.  Ah third party stuff.  I love that so many devices have gone to Mini USB B 5pin for charging and data you can get so many accessories that work with them. 

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

Any concerns about voiding your warranty? This is from the Droid user's guide...

Important: Motorola’s warranty does not cover damage to the phone caused by non-Motorola batteries and/or chargers.

0 Likes
M_R_L
Contributor - Level 1

logicman wrote:

Any concerns about voiding your warranty? This is from the Droid user's guide...

Important: Motorola’s warranty does not cover damage to the phone caused by non-Motorola batteries and/or chargers.

I purchased by Droid from BestBuy since I did not have to sent in the $100 rebate and hope that it did not get lost. At that time I asked for another wall charger and they sold me a RocketFish wall charger. I asked if it was OK since it was not a Motorola charger. They said it would work fine. I would like to think that BestBuy was aware of any issue with a third-party charger. I took out the BestBuy extended warranty (at 9.99 per month) so if sometime happens I can blame it on the third-party charger that they sold me. I guess I better save the receipt to prove it.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

logicman wrote:

USB charging is standard.  Otherwise they wouldn't cover damage from charging or syncing to the computer cause it is technically charging it.  No no worries.  USB is USB is USB some of them have had issues of not charging or discharging it is usually from poor craftsmanship and you can usually visually inspect it to see.  Most of them are fine since it really isn't hard to make a USB charger that works.  That is why I am really glad they have moved to USB charging because with the iPhone out there you can find all kinds of chargers that you can just plug your usb into. 

0 Likes