Car Dock Charging problem?
dsxdroider

My car dock does a great job of holding my Droid X in place in my car. However, whenever I connect an auto charger to the car dock (with the Droid X in the dock, of course), it never charges the Droid X at all. When I connect the auto charger directly to the Droid X, it always charges just fine.

Has anyone else had a problem with the auto charger working through the car mount?

Also, in case anyone cares, even though Google Maps Navigation is quite good, I find that I like VZ Navigator much more. My only complaint is that it only gives you one verbal notification for each and any upcoming exits or turns. I would prefer several verbal notifications - such as one from two miles away, another from one mile away, another from .5 miles away, or something like that. Can anyone tell me whether Google Maps Navigation provides more or multiple verbal notifications for an upcoming exit turn on a highway, for instance? Either way, if I could only hear any such notification with a louder volume for the speaker on the Droid X, it would be great.

So, anyone else with a a charging problem through the car mount?

Also, anyone know which navigation program provides more verbal notifications for upcoming turns in case you did not hear the first one? 

0 Likes
Re: Car Dock Charging problem?
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I believe google nav only gives you two.  When you approach an exit or turn, google nav will tell you "In x distance, turn left/right onto..."  then right before you have to make the turn, it'll say "turn left/right" 

0 Likes
sgalante

I replied to a later post today, that I too am having a problem, charging the X while in the card dock.  I am bringing the dock back to Verizon today, to see if they can exchange it for another one.  The problem doesn't seem to be the entire batch, just a smaller sample of them having the problem.

0 Likes
Gup007

Does anyone know if you can use the Shell case and the car dock, Or would I have to remove the shell case every time I wanted to use the Car dock. Thanks

0 Likes
jmorton10

Car dock has a removeable insert to allow shell case use.

~~John

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It only works with some of the cases, not all.  There are a few that require you to grind/file down part of the mount

0 Likes
Gup007

I noticed it has an insert that's removable, so I guess you use that with out a case and remove it if you have a case, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks

0 Likes
TXMikey

I have the same problem with not charging while in the car dock.  I've used the dock 3 times now, and had problems on 2 of them.  On both occasions, it was originally charging and working on the car's power.  After a couple of hours, the phone quit charging, and drained down to 10% power before I reallize there was a problem.  I found the phone to be extremely hot, and the phone woljuld not charge either in the car dock, or connected directly to the charging cord.  Once the phone cooled down, it began charging again.  It appears the battery is overheating; perhaps from the heat of the sunlight coming through the windshield?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yeah, overheating is my guess.  I had a similar issue with my original Droid and putting it in a vent mount with cold air blowing on the back of it has fixed the problem.  It's just a generic $5 walmart mount but it gets the job done.  May look into something like http://www.arkon.com/megagrip/Motorola_Droid_X_Mount.html though

0 Likes
glucar

I have the shell/holster and the car dock. Unfortunately, the shell does not fit the dock even without the removable piece. I was thinking of filing the piece down but not sure I want to do that yet.

0 Likes