Cannot send/receive picture messages
Lawless13
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue has only started recently, say in the last 2-3 months. I receive a picture message from someone and it has a "download" button. Press the button, 10-15 minutes later, no picture but an error message: "Generic Network Failure. Message could not be downloaded." I get a similar error message when I try to send a picture message. I browsed the Forums and tried the other fixes listed, none have worked other than to Download GoSMS. Frankly, its sad that I have to turn to a 3rd party app for what should be working seamlessly through Verizon.

Info:

HTC Incredible 2 HTC version 3.5, Android Version 2.3.5

Unlimited Data Plan, Data is ON. CDMA is ON

WiFi is always OFF, cause I have never needed it

This happens regardless if I am in 3G coverage or not.

I have increase MMS file size to 1M AND number of MMS I can receive/store to 100

I have cleared the cache on all Messaging

Auto-retrieve is ON

Cleared out all old messages, so there is plenty of space

Called *228 multiple times, tried Option 1 and 2

Play mode is on Auto.

I would really appreciate any help to resolve this!

0 Likes
Re: Cannot send/receive picture messages
budone
Legend

Sounds like too large a file is being sent to you

0 Likes
Lawless13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I doubt size has much to do with it, since I can neither Send nor Receive them, regardless of size.  I have tried croppign the photos to reduce size, it made no difference.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Are you using a stock app for messaging?  Try Handcent and see what happens

0 Likes
Lawless13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I DL'd GoSMS Pro.

Yes, that does let me send/receive picture messages.  However, I would really like the original messaging app to work correctly, since it did up until a month ago.  That and having two messaging apps and switching between the two is a P.I.T.A. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
razrtothemaxx

So it's only happening with picture messages? Have you tried checking your available memory in your SD card?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Lawless13 wrote:

I DL'd GoSMS Pro.

Yes, that does let me send/receive picture messages.  However, I would really like the original messaging app to work correctly, since it did up until a month ago.  That and having two messaging apps and switching between the two is a P.I.T.A. Smiley Happy

Why switch between the two. If goSMSPro works, just use it. But knowing it is the stock program that is the issue...... Try placing the device in Safe Mode and try sending or receiving a pic through the stock program. Safe Mode keeps all apps you have added from causing a conflict.

If the program will work, then it is an app that is causing the conflict and issue.

0 Likes
Lawless13
Enthusiast - Level 2

GoSMS worked once.  Now it is also not opening picture messages.

0 Likes
Lawless13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did.  My SD card is over half empty. Thanks for the idea though!

0 Likes
Lawless13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wonder if this is part of the thing Verizon started in Sept 2011 for bandwidth restrictions on 3G users with Unlimited Data plans?  When I read their notice about it at the time, I didn't think I was one of the people being restricted as I use no where near the 2 (MB? GB?) of data a month.  Did they expand that program?

0 Likes