Cannot get screen to turn on during call after Jelly Bean
egelliott3

Got my Jelly Bean update the other day.  Afterward I noticed the issue when trying to check my voicemail.  Called *86, screen went black and I was unable to get it back on using the power button (like I usually do) so I could not enter my voicemail pin.  Verified the phone was still on the call since it would tell me to enter my pin and then finally hang up.  I cannot get the screen to come on via other calls either incoming or outgoing.  This makes the phone virtually useless as a phone since the update.  I have done a full factory reset following the instructions on Verizon's site and prevented the phone from doing a full restore, so it did not pull down all of my apps again in case that was somehow a problem.  Still no joy.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cannot get screen to turn on during call after Jelly Bean
MitchF
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having this problem.
I removed my case did not resolve the problem.

I removed the screen protector and it began to work.

After putting my case back on, it continued to work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello egelliott3, Let's bring back this crucial function of your device and restore the joy! I appreciate you taking so much time up to this point troubleshooting. May I ask if you currently use a screen protector or a case? How long have you had your device? Does it show any signs of physical or liquid damage? I am eager to discuss all of your available options and look forward to working with you!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
atmisc

I am having the same exact issue described by egelliott3. I am using the same screen protector and case that i had prior to updating, I've had my Bionic for over a year (purchased new), and there is no damage at all.

Thank you in advance for any help with this issue which makes the phone useless for actually talking on.

0 Likes
MitchF
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having this problem.
I removed my case did not resolve the problem.

I removed the screen protector and it began to work.

After putting my case back on, it continued to work.

0 Likes
egelliott3

Sorry, the email alert got eaten my by spam filter and I just found it.

I have a screen protector on the phone, but not a case.  I have had my device for about two years now.  There is no damage to the phone at all.  The device was working perfectly fine until the Jelly Bean update.  Ever since then I have had this problem.

After reading MitchF's response I removed the screen protector that I had on the device and it appears that it may be working at this time.

What does not make sense to me is that why, as soon as I got the JB update, my screen protector became a problem when it had been working just fine through past updates to 4.0+ for almost two years (minus the last few weeks).

0 Likes
egelliott3

The phone continues to work properly now that the screen protector has been removed.

0 Likes
DrEsquire

I am also experiencing this problem.  I have been using the same otterbox case for nearly a year without a problem before the update.  I removed my otterbox case (with integrated screen protector)  but it did NOT fix the problem.

0 Likes
MackVerizon

Same issue.  Did a factory reset, remove screen protector, removed case.  Cannot get to the dial pad while in a call.  The phone is useless now for checking voicemail or for any calls requiring me to press buttons.  Jellybean introduced this issue. Phone was working fine before Jellybean.

0 Likes
mickeyok

I've had this same issue since the update.

Removing the screen protector DID NOT solve the problem.

It's an intermittent issue. What I mean by that is on the first call to pick up voicemails the screen goes black and I can't get it to turn back on. But, if I keep trying to call back eventually the screen will eventually stay on and allow me to pickup voicemails.

It's one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with this phone. It makes me gun-shy about staying with Verizon and upgrading. I'm keeping my options open.

MM

0 Likes