Re: Can't connect to Wi-Fi via wireless home network
VERIZONLVR
Enthusiast - Level 3

jasminium wrote:

I have the same problem.

I use wep security, when I try to connect to my network and enter the key, it says "obtaining ip address from ___" then it reads "unsuccessful."

Has anyone figured out how to fix this?

Thanks

According to the Verizon rep I spoke to, you can't use the phone network and WiFi at the same time (a la the current AT&T ads). Has anyone tried using WiFi with the phone network turned off?

0 Likes
adam_losangeles
Enthusiast - Level 3

VERIZONLVR wrote:

According to the Verizon rep I spoke to, you can't use the phone network and WiFi at the same time (a la the current AT&T ads). Has anyone tried using WiFi with the phone network turned off?

Yes, I've disabled the 3G connection with "APNdroid" from the Android market and used the WiFi connection only with no problems.  The phone basically does this same thing automatically anyway, using the faster connection when available.

EDIT:  Btw, I recommend using "DD Networks" for this because it will show you which of the two, 3G or WiFi, is connected as well as the real-time signal strength and IP address when in WiFi mode.

0 Likes
mnhim001

when I first got my HTC Eris I was able to connect to my wifi at home using WPA and have my 3G turned on at the same time.  Just recently I had to reset my DSL modem and now my phone won't connect to my wifi.

The phone sees my wifi and sees that its set to WPA.  It tries to obtain an IP address but then returns back as unsuccessful.  I check my router and see the MAC Address of my phone and that its been assigned an IP address.  I ping the IP address and I get a reply.

My wifi says my phone is connected, but my phone says its not connected.  Whats going on?? anyone got any other ideas?

0 Likes
zqwjohn

wonder if there is updates on this. Anyone got it fixed?

I just got a Droid Eris and has same problem here. I can not connect to my home network ( "obtain address"... then "unsuccessful").

Thanks

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

My Eris will connect to my secured wireless home router (or at least it says it's connected), but I can't navigate any webpages.  If I try, it just says web page not available.  Turn off the wifi and it goes to the page just fine.  Not sure what encryption protocol my router is running but will look into it tonight.  Certainly sounds like a widespread problem though.  Might have to call Verizon on this one.

D Dave

0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to Wi-Fi via wireless home network *PROBLEM NOT SOLVED*
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Q2 wrote:

How do we change the flag in the forum to show that the problem isn't really solved?  There are way too many other examples of users not being able to connect to the internet through wifi when WPA or WPA2 security is enabled.

To change the marked solution, you can go to Options on the upper right of the post you marked as a solution. Then, under Options, choose Unmark as Accepted Solution.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2

Dangerous_Dave wrote:

My Eris will connect to my secured wireless home router (or at least it says it's connected), but I can't navigate any webpages.  If I try, it just says web page not available.  Turn off the wifi and it goes to the page just fine.  Not sure what encryption protocol my router is running but will look into it tonight.  Certainly sounds like a widespread problem though.  Might have to call Verizon on this one.

D Dave

I have seen posts here and elsewhere, where people have had success with their connection problems by dropping from WPA or WPA2 down to WEP encryption on their router.  Maybe not the ideal solution, but if you're not too worried about someone hacking your router, it might work.  I would also suggest making sure you have the latest firmware installed on the router.  That might fix the problem as well.

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

PPC_Dude wrote:

Dangerous_Dave wrote:

D Dave

I have seen posts here and elsewhere, where people have had success with their connection problems by dropping from WPA or WPA2 down to WEP encryption on their router.  Maybe not the ideal solution, but if you're not too worried about someone hacking your router, it might work.  I would also suggest making sure you have the latest firmware installed on the router.  That might fix the problem as well.

Well, still no dice. Router is set to WEP encryption and has the latest firmware, although it is a discontinued model and no longer supported by D-link. In wifi settings, it shows that I am connected to my secured home network, but I cannot pull up any webpages, even if I'm sitting right next to the router. HTC tech support said the router might just be too old, but I'm not sure if I believe that or not. The phone clearly says that it's connected. Could there be something I'm just missing in my phone setup causing the problem?? Isn't it just as simple as turning on the wifi on the phone and verifying that it shows connected to my wireless home network? Or am I skipping a step somewhere? D Dave
0 Likes
PPC_Dude
Contributor - Level 2
Are you able to connect to other wifi routers? I tend to think, especially since your router is out of production, that it may very well be a problem with the router. Not saying that's the case, just that it's possible. The Eris and Android are pretty new technology and I doubt they packed backwards compatibility for every possibility in the phone. If you are able to connect to other newer routers, then I think the obvious answer is upgrade your router. Have you tried to disable security altogether and see if you can connect and be functional?
0 Likes
Not applicable

If you can connect to the router but not to the internet, it sounds like a problem getting an IP address from the router.  When I got my Droid yesterday, it connected easily to my CradlePoint router with WPA/WPA2 security.  Maybe you should pick up a new router??

0 Likes