Can't call, text, e-mail or use data
mgrk

I'm traveling this week. My phone worked fine before I left Philadelphia airport. Ever since I landed in Puerto Rico (7 hours ago), I can't call, text or use anything requiring data. Signal is strong, although it does say Extended Network. Extended Network is normal here though. I've made this trip numerous times & haven't had a problem in the past. I've tried taking the battery out multiple times from minutes up to a half hour at a time.Texts fail. When making a call, I get a message stating something along the lines of "Sorry for the delay a representative will be with you shortly." After a few minutes I get a message stating all lines are busy & get disconnected. The same exact thing happens when trying to update the phone with *228.

0 Likes
Re: Can't call, text, e-mail or use data
beluquita

Hi. I am having the same exact problem. Only wifi works. Very frustrating.

0 Likes
beluquita

With my iPhone 4s

0 Likes
mgrk

To make things all that more bizarre, when I arrived at the plant here in Manati, Puerto Rico, where there is very little signal, all of a sudden, I received a flood of incoming voice mail & text messages from yesterday. I was even able to check voicemail. Inside the plant there is no signal, which is normal. When I left the plant this evening, again the same "Sorry to delay your call, a representative will assist you shortly" followed by all lines are busy messages.

0 Likes
beluquita

Yesterday evening I also received texts and was able to make a call. This morning... Nothing again :(. And I'm in the same location as last night. I spoke to Verizon yesterday and they said that I should have updated the PRL on my phone before I left to PR by dialing *228. You can't do that once you're here. He tried to "push it through" for me but said it can take up to 24 hours to take effect, if it works at all. The challenge I have is that I'm stuck in PR for a few months. I've been here 4 times this year and this is the first time I have this problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Mgrk & Beluquita,

Having access to your phone, especially while traveling internationally, is incredibly important.  I'm so sorry that you both are having issues in the first place.  I will be more than happy to see if I can provide some suggestions that will assist.

I appreciate you taking the time to remove & reinsert the battery or power the phone down.  I would also recommend removing the sim card to see if the phone is trying to pull GSM instead of CDMA. If you don't see a difference, reinsert the sim card for safe keeping.

Double check your roaming settings are on.

Droid:
http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=37807

iPhone 4s:
http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=48960

Anytime before you travel it is highly recommended to dial *228-call and choose option 2.  This ensures your phone has the most update to date features.

If you do have service on your phone you can reach our global support by dialing 1-908-559-4899.

For Puerto Rico you can also reach them via Landline at no additional cost by following these steps:

Dial 1-800-888-8000.
  • After the tone, enter your Verizon Wireless calling card number and PIN. (Calling Card Number: 9085594899 PIN: 2392)
  • After the tone enter 0-908-559-4899.
  • The VZW Global Roaming Hotline will then prompt you to enter your 10-digit mobile number.

I wish you both safe travels and hope this assists!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes