Can I use my Samsung Charge in another country ?
Culchie23
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I replace the LTE card with a SIM card from another country, will it work ??

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use my Samsung Charge in another country ?
TimHup
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, it can be used in many countries - including Japan and China where I travel frequently.  Verizon is partnered with carriers in many countries.  BUT it is only CMDA, and it does not have a GSM SIM for example, so you are locked into using these partners only, and the voice charges are steep (like $1.99 a minute) and data rates ridiculous.

Because of the high rates, I only use text messaging except for urgent calls, and turn off data.

Bought an inexpensive GSM phone to use in China - got a number in-county, and it is very inexpensive, even to make international calls.  Use that same phone in the U.S. as a backup (major carrier other than Verizon in the U.S.) (I can recharge the account on-line to ensure the number remains active, even if not using it for months).

Contact Verizon helpful service at 611 and they will give you straight skinny to answer specific countries and rates.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The phone is not global ready. http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Droid-Charge_id5126

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

TimHup
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, it can be used in many countries - including Japan and China where I travel frequently.  Verizon is partnered with carriers in many countries.  BUT it is only CMDA, and it does not have a GSM SIM for example, so you are locked into using these partners only, and the voice charges are steep (like $1.99 a minute) and data rates ridiculous.

Because of the high rates, I only use text messaging except for urgent calls, and turn off data.

Bought an inexpensive GSM phone to use in China - got a number in-county, and it is very inexpensive, even to make international calls.  Use that same phone in the U.S. as a backup (major carrier other than Verizon in the U.S.) (I can recharge the account on-line to ensure the number remains active, even if not using it for months).

Contact Verizon helpful service at 611 and they will give you straight skinny to answer specific countries and rates.

Culchie23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Tim. I think I will get an inexpensive GSM phone when I go to the Philippines next time. The only providers I know of there is SMART and GLOBE. And they both use the SIM card. And I can get a dual SIM phone and use both services. I will just keep my CHARGE as a back up for my NOTE II.

0 Likes