Can I use Verizon Moto Droid on a vacation to Scotland?
fabric8r

Travelling to Scotland for 2 weeks soon.

1) Can I use my Verizon Moto Droid there without paying huge roaming charges, like maybe purchasing a few weeks of international use...?

2) Depending to the answer above, can I use Google maps there to guide me around? (renting a GPS for two weeks costs more than buying one)

Thanks so much for the advice!

0 Likes
Re: Can I use Verizon Moto Droid on a vacation to Scotland?
rachtberg

Not sure about the International plans, but if you don't want outrageous roaming charges but still want to use your GPS, the only suggestion I can give you its to turn on "airplane" mode.  That should block all incoming/outgoing call and texts.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

fabric8r wrote:

Travelling to Scotland for 2 weeks soon.

1) Can I use my Verizon Moto Droid there without paying huge roaming charges, like maybe purchasing a few weeks of international use...?

2) Depending to the answer above, can I use Google maps there to guide me around? (renting a GPS for two weeks costs more than buying one)

Thanks so much for the advice!

Go here to see if Verizon coverage is available-->International coverage map

If there is coverage in that area you are going in, I'd recommend adding some sort of international plan to your phone. You can just add it for a month. Then once your billing cycle ends just cancel it.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

NO The Motorola Droid is not international capable.  It is CDMA only which means it will not work on the GSM network which is what Europe uses.  Even in the countries that do use CDMA (Korea and Japan) it will not be on the proper frequency.  Also there is no way to insert a sim card in the Droid which is how you would activate the phone on the towers in your target country. 

When they say the Droid is not international capable they mean that you cannot use the phone in Scotland. 

0 Likes
fabric8r

Thanks for the help.  Two weeks with no cel phone/Droid.  Not sure if it will be bliss or panic...

Will probably need to get a GPS with Europe map capability though.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

fabric8r wrote:

Thanks for the help.  Two weeks with no cel phone/Droid.  Not sure if it will be bliss or panic...

Will probably need to get a GPS with Europe map capability though.

You could purchase a GSM prepaid cell phone to use over there. Activate it before you leave & add some mintues on the device.Just use it for emergencys or to call back to the states. It'll have a different phone number on it though.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

Better yet see if you can get a prepaid phone over there.  Sometimes they have cooler phones and who knows you might find a gem that isn't available here. 

0 Likes