Camera flash kills / shuts down and locks up Droid Charge
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I'm getting this almost everytime I take a pic and the flash goes off. The screen will go black right after the flash goes off and I have to pull the battery to get the phone to do anything. Thoughts? 

0 Likes
Re: Camera flash kills / shuts down and locks up Droid Charge
Not applicable

That is not normal.  I will PM you to get your info to see what options we have.

0 Likes
byrnsey88

Yeah that happened to me today too.

0 Likes
tzhou
I got the same black screen today and could only reboot by reinserting the battery.
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

After a day of this happening none stop that night I put my Charge on the charger and the next morning it magically stopped doing this. 

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Sent: 07-01-2011 10:52 AM
Yes normally we do take trouble shooting steps but what you are experiencing and the other user as well sound like physical hardware issues that adjusting settings in the phone will not resolve.  What you are experiencing are not normal design functions of the phone.

To: SammuelP Wireless Employee
Sent: 07-01-2011 10:21 AM
Read: 07-01-2011 10:46 AM

😄 No thanks, Sorry I thought you were maybe going to troubleshoot. Is this common? Is that why a replacement device is the first option to the problem? 
See #4 on this guys list. Does he need a replacement Charge also?

Sent: 07-01-2011 10:18 AM
We can replace the device for you.  Does that sound like a good option for you?

0 Likes
HawaiiMike

I just found this thread.  Picked up a Droid Charge yesterday and had this exact same thing happen last night.  Took a flash picture and the phone went dark and would not turn back on with start button.  I gave up messing around with it and plugged it in planning to drive back to store this morning (2hr RT).  This morning it seems to work fine, but I am concerned.  Battery was at 3/4 full when this happened...does the phone only have capacity to take flash pictures with an absolutely full battery?  Is there a short or defect in the camera?  Please post more information on this problem. 

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

HawaiiMike wrote:

I just found this thread.  Picked up a Droid Charge yesterday and had this exact same thing happen last night.  Took a flash picture and the phone went dark and would not turn back on with start button.  I gave up messing around with it and plugged it in planning to drive back to store this morning (2hr RT).  This morning it seems to work fine, but I am concerned.  Battery was at 3/4 full when this happened...does the phone only have capacity to take flash pictures with an absolutely full battery?  Is there a short or defect in the camera?  Please post more information on this problem. 

I only had this happen for one day since I got my Charge. I found that doing a battery pull will let you restart your phone. Also after I let the Phone charge over night I haven't had the issue again since. I dont think that battery charge level has anything to do with it but when it was happening I had over 70% battery life and I have the big fat extended battery on mine. The VZW employee that emailed me on the issue ( see above ) said I would need a new phone but obviously even a new phone will do it also. I told him no thanks on the replacement. 

0 Likes
HawaiiMike

Thanks for the quick followup.  I'll take lots of flash photos over the next week and see if I can replicate the issue.  

0 Likes
Paelex

I just got the Charge and the first night, I also encountered the issue with the flash locking up/shutting down the phone.  I removed the battery and restarted, etc.  Tried it again, same thing.  I found this thread, so I left it along for the rest of the night (while it was recharging) and tried it again in the morning and it worked!  I thought the problem was solved.  However a couple days later, I was trying to take another flash picture (most of the pics I'd taken thus far did not require the flash) and it did the same thing--shut down the phone, etc.  I removed the battery, started the phone up again, then restarted it again.  I was then able to take a flash picture.  A couple hours later, I took another flash picture and it worked fine, then I tried to take a second flash picture right after that, and my phone shut down again!!!  Is there some secret to this?  I mean, I have seen this flash problem mentioned a few different places (with no real solutions), so I don't know that just getting a replacement phone would even solve the problem?

0 Likes