Calendar/Alarm Clock--Time changes when changing time zones
doogie51

How do I get my appointment times NOT to change when I'm moving through various time zones?  I traveled from California to Tennessee this past weekend (two time zones).  A month ago, when I made the reservation, I calendared my return flight information, including the 6:40 takeoff time, into my Droid calendar.  When getting ready to leave Tennessee, I checked my calendar and the takeoff time was listed as 8:40.  The only thing that kept me from missing my flight was seeing the real flight time on my computer when I was pre-checking in.  While in the Tennessee airport, I set my alarm for the next morning for 5 a.m.  Sure enough, in California the next morning the alarm started screaming at 3 a.m....having adjusted itself for the time zone changes.  My old Palm had a setting that would "lock" the time, notwithstanding time zone changes.  How can I do that with my Droid???

0 Likes
Re: Calendar/Alarm Clock--Time changes when changing time zones
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Do you have your time zone set to automatic? If so, you should have it changed to manual, so you whatever time zone you're in, your time should not adjust. Hope this helps!:smileywink:

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

I do apologize about the typo above and not giving you the proper instructions of how to set your time from automatic to manual. Go to Settings>Date & Time> Make sure the Automatic box is not checked & Select the Time Zone. So, now your time will not adjust whenever you travel. Sorry for the delayed response. Hope this helps!:smileywink:

0 Likes
doogie51

Thanks, Shayonte--A couple of quick follow up questions:

1.  if I'm not on "Automatic" time change, when I go to a new time zone, if I change the time to the local time of the new time zone, will that change the times in my calendar?  That is, if I go from California to Tennessee, when I set the clock 2 hours ahead, will that adjust all the times in my calendar by two hours?

2.  Similarly, if I calendar an appt while in Tennessee, when I get back to California and set the clock to California time, will it adjust the calendared time?

3.  Same question with the Alarm Clock...when I travel, change times for new time zones manually, set an alarm for a certain time, then change time zones again, will the alarm clock go off at the time that I set, or will it move the time for the adjusted time zone.

4. Finally, if I'm not on automatic time, will I begin to gain or lose seconds (like any other timepiece not tied to a network clock), or does the clock adjust for network time--so that it will continue to be exact?

Thanks for your help.

Doug

0 Likes
sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

You're very welcome--- In fact, these are very GOOD questions and I happen to have an answer to each of them.

For Question 1. Normally , in the calendar they only ask for the time, not the time zone. So, the times will not change in your calendar unless you adjust them yourself.

Question 2. As in Question 1, You will have to adjust the time in your calendar to whatever time zone you are in.

Question 3. If you manually set your alarm to a specific time and you change time zones, your alarm will NOT adjust to the time zone you are in. That will only happen if you have the time zone set to automatic.

Lastly, If you do not have your time zone set to automatic then your time will not adjust at all. Therefore, you will not lose/gain any seconds.

Hope I have answered all of your questions that you have for me today.:smileywink:

I'm waiting on your reply!

0 Likes
Oldie74

Following the instructions in question #1, when one gets back to the original location and sets the setting back to auto, will any of the times initially set in that time zone change? 

Suppose I go to California from Eastern time zone:

Time set in Calendar while in eastern zone is to take a flight in a Pacific time zone a 6:00 PM,

Droid Setting is set to MANUAL

When I arrive in Pacific time zone , I manually set the Droid to the correct Pacific time zone  time (3 hours earlier)

If I understand your answers to the questions, the Droid Calendar should read flight time at 6:00 PM (not 3 PM)

When I arive back in the Eastern time zone and I set the Droid back to AUTO, do any of the Calendar setting change?

If so, must I then use MANUAL forever?

My previous Palm TREO did not have this problem.  Do all Droids/Android based phones have this problem?

Thank you

Bobfus

0 Likes