CAN'T TEXT CERTAIN PEOPLE
arist2005

About a couple days ago I was informed that people were not recieving my text messages or they would show up blank, full of boxes, or letters with spaces between them.  I took my phone to the verizon store and the tech immediately said Lookout was probably causing the issue and uninstalled in and done a hard reset.......However I still cannot text certain people....Verizon customers are ok but anyone out of network issues arise.

Can someone please help me......I can't live without text messaging!!!! PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!!

0 Likes
Re: CAN'T TEXT CERTAIN PEOPLE
lance96816
Contributor - Level 2

Copied... 

Texting Problems

0 Likes
SkyHawkPA

It's not just out of network people but also certain phones on the Verizon network .   I have the same problem.  The Verizon tech on the phone  told me that it is a software issue and they are "working on it" with a newer version of the software.  No word as to when the fix will happen (if ever).  In the meantime you CAN send message provided you avoid all punctuation (except periods) and do not indent or start new paragraphs.  This fix works for me (even though it seems like a step backward as my five year old dumb LG  phone could text to its heart's content without problems).  Frustrating problem but there is a work around (albeit one which diminishes the utility of the unit)

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your issue is strange, but I have a perfect resolution for you. If you have already done a master reset, and the people that are out of network receive garble/blank/don't get your texts, you need to follow these steps.  I worked all the way up to the engineering level on this one.  

When you start typing those words, the phone starts auto-suggesting the rest of the word. The problem is that the suggested word is not using a regular apostrophe, it’s using a single quote.  The difference is very subtle and nobody would notice it by eye unless they were looking for it. The “wrong” version looks kind of tilted while the “right” version is straight up and down.

The easiest way to fix this is to put the apostrophe in themselves each time and not select from the auto-suggest bar or to have them edit the user dictionary to include the correct version with the apostrophe that’s over the letter M on your keyboard. 

SETTINGS –> LANGUAGE AND KEYBOARDS –> USER DICTIONARY –> MENU KEY –> ADD –> TYPE IN THE WORD THAT YOU WANT TO ADD> Type in don'(apostrophe)t (don't) and type in what'(apostrophe)s (what's). 

I am confident this will fix your issues.  Let us know if it does. 

0 Likes
SkyHawkPA

Does not work for me as I never use the auto suggest feature.  If I use ANY kind of punctuation (question marks, exclamation marks, etc.) or if I indent (tab) or start a new paragraph, SOME of the people on Verizon (including my daughter who is on my account) get either jibberish or no message at all (they get the message but the message box is blank).  From my perspective, the Droid 2 Global is a step backward as far as texting goes. I bought the phone for the keyboard to make texting easier but I think I made a major mistake.  I am just going to have to wait for two years for the contract to expire or until Android comes out with a software update.  I'm not holding my breath for the latter.  All I can say is that when my employees or friends ask about the Droid, I tell them to stay as far from this thing as possible-it is not a viable business  phone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

One thing I failed to mention in my earlier post.  If you type out the word "dont" it will auto correct it to "don't."  The auto-correct feature is the same as choosing the suggestion.  Try to add those two words with the steps I previously listed.  It has worked for a multitude of people.  You won't even notice the difference when you are typing (other than no garbled text being sent). 

Let me know if it works. 

0 Likes
SkyHawkPA

Mike.   Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, it did not work.  I tried texting my daughter (also on Verizon but who does not have a "smart" phone) with a note that included exclamation marks, contracted words, with indents and paragraphs and all she received was jibberish.  As I said earlier, I can't wait for the two year contract to end so I can get something other than an Android (maybe a Blackberry or an iphone or maybe a dumb phone-anything but Android).  I am stuck texting without punctuation or formatting-sometimes makes me look like a buffoon (what? can't you place commas where needed  have you never heard of questoin marks?).  Anyway, thanks for your attempts to help.  Please believe me when I say I know you did your best-the rest will depend on a software update or another 20 months, whichever comes first.

0 Likes
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

If you are still having problems, please reply to the private message that I am sending you.  I will call you to provide troubleshooting assistance. 

0 Likes