Bug Report: use of Stock Music app causes Droid X to stop recognizing MP3 files
MrMikeM513
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's an interesting one:

At some point within the last week or so, not sure how exactly when, I noticed my phone suddenly stopped playing any MP3 files. Ringtones. Music. All stopped working. When I'd try to play an MP3 file by opening it in either Ringdroid or Astro, my Droid X displayed an error that the audio file type was not supported. Rebooting the phone fixed the issue. The unit was able once again to play audio, but would stop again a short time later. What could be causing this?

My wife and I have identical Droid Xs. I use the Music app and she does not. She has not yet lost any audio capabilities on her device. Based on this, I downloaded the DoubleTwist player and have been using it regularly for 3 days.

My DroidX played all audio files without a problem. It retained all ringtones and notifications and played any MP3 file on demand.

I switched back to using the Music player to play 1 file. Within an hour, my phone had once again failed to recognize MP3 files and had to be rebooted.

Is there a workaround for this?

And will the MotoRizon engineers be fixing this in the rumored forthcoming patch?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Likes
Re: Bug Report: use of Stock Music app causes Droid X to stop recognizing MP3 files
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I noticed this problem on my DROID X as well this week ....  I don't listen to a LOT of music with it; mainly when I'm out walking around ...  Here's my unscientific analysis --  I think this has to do with the SD card. reason I say that is that I had plugged my phone into my computer earlier in the day .... that results in an UNMOUNT of the SD Card (using Moto Media Link).  I never rebooted the phone after that and low and behold, while walking, I tried to play an MP3 that I played the day before...  I received that error that you mentioned  for ANY MP3 I tried to play... I rebooted the phone and it was all fine after that ... Clearly a bug of some sort since a reboot seems to "reset" something.

0 Likes
Re: Bug Report: use of Stock Music app causes Droid X to stop recognizing MP3 files
Wildman
Legend

I agree with the issue being a card related issue, try coping everything off the drive and then format it and then copy only information required back on card.  I can bet you have did a hard reset and didn't clean up unused files off card before reinstalling apps, I make sure to delete everything but my personal created folder and a few folders that holds my backup data because android does not delete any file related to apps you uninstall so this can cause issues because of the unused data sometimes being accessed...   Try wiping sd card after backup needed files and placing them back on card.

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3

I never had the OPs problem, but I can confirm that the Music app is buggy and will send your phone for a spin. I have used two different SD cards, reformatted both, hard reset, etc and encounter a problem with the Music app. I haven't been able to find the exact cause but sometimes when you flip the orientation of the phone while in the Music app it will become slow. The audio starts to skip and the image on the screen doesn't flip all the way. Shortly after the phone almost becomes a brick because they only thing you can do is turn the screen on and off, the phone doesn't even lock. You have to do a battery pull to get out of this. I switched to music player from the Market and yet to have another problem with playing music.

0 Likes
sledball

I have the same issue.  I can't trace it to a music player yet, but noticed it after 2.2.  I noticed it first because my alarm won't go off randomly (using mp3 as an alarm) and then figured out it won't play mp3's at all.  Same as mentioned here, after a reboot, it works.

0 Likes
Ambreezy
Contributor - Level 3

Hello sledball. I have read your post and understand your issue with the MP3 files on your device. You will want to perform a hard reset on your device and backup everything on your SD Card and if needed reformat your SD Card. 

From the home screen, touch the applications tab(located at the bottom of the display).

Touch Settings.
Touch
Privacy.
Touch
Factory Data Reset.
Touch
Reset Phone.
Note If presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern

Touch Erase Everything.

0 Likes
NYsMissingStar
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ambreezy wrote:

Hello sledball. I have read your post and understand your issue with the MP3 files on your device. You will want to perform a hard reset on your device and backup everything on your SD Card and if needed reformat your SD Card. 

From the home screen, touch the applications tab(located at the bottom of the display).

Touch Settings.
Touch
Privacy.
Touch
Factory Data Reset.
Touch
Reset Phone.
NoteIf presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern

Touch Erase Everything.

Ive done the hard reset after upgrading to 2.2... and this doesn't help.. My Droid X will still not recognize my mp3's and will change my ringtone to default from time to time...

0 Likes