Bionic rebooting itself
tomc212

Since the update to Android 4 my Bionic has rebooted itself about a few times a day.  This has happened while I have been using the phone and while the phone has been sitting idle.

Before the Android update I moved all my pics and videos from my SD card to my PC,  then installed the OS update after getting it OTA.  I think everything went OK, but my phone rebooted itself about 1 hour later.  I did a factory data reset and later on that night the phone froze for about 10 seconds while using Google Reader and then rebooted.  The next day the phone rebooted while i was driving and using the Navigation app.  Later on the phone rebooted while sitting on my desk after not being used for a few hours.  I did a wipe cache that night, but in the middle of the night i was woken up by the phone rebooting into the Droid animation stuff while charging.

Today has been the same thing, the most recent reboot was about 30 minutes ago when the phone was next to me, not being used for the past hour besides me checking twice to see who emailed me in the notification screen.

I don't have too many apps and the ones i have are standard ones that never had a problem before the OS update.

Someone told me to do another factory data reset, but that didn't seem to work out the first time i tried it.

Thanks, Tom

0 Likes
Re: Bionic rebooting itself
mvizz

I've been having the same exact problems! For a few days now... The freezing/ crashing seems to happen when im quickly multitasking, but also does randomly when just opening an app or checking a text. Im a long time android fan and i cant believe HOW BAD this has been for me. I already did a factory reset and even erased my internal storage at the same time, but its still doing it. Sometimes it will  freeze crash and reboot 3-4 times in a row. Any suggestions anyone?

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Do a phone cache clear.  This will get rid of any leftover remnants of code that even a FDR might not get rid of. 

0 Likes
tomc212

I did wipe the cache partition after the FDR.

I did a 2nd FDR yesterday and manually added the apps back through Google Play.  The reboot problem happened again after less than a day and has now happened another 3 time including 1 time when the phone rebooted twice in a row after the phone froze while being used.

I just wiped the cache again and will see what that does for the next 48hrs.  Due to the storm on the east coast i'll put off doing anything for a few days.  Rather have a phone that sometimes works than one without the apps i might need.

-Tom

0 Likes
mvizz

yeah clearing the cache didnt do crap for me either... It still has the crash/reboot problems, it did it just now as I went to open the chrome browser...

0 Likes
tomc212

Still have the same reboot issue with my Droid.

Have wiped the caches a few times and that did nothing as the phone would still reboot.  Did another FDR + wipe cache after i was woken up the other day by the verizon droid animation playing 3 times in a row at 4am.  Took about 2 hours from the FDR for the first reboot and it's happened again and again..

I spent 2 weeks without power at home due to hurricane Sandy and having a Droid Bionic that reboots itself several times a day was not very helpful.  I went to the local Verizon store and told them i wiped the cache and did an FDR.  Was told that since my phone was older than 12 months i was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
mvizz

call up the customer service number, they are ALWAYS more helpful than the local store I go to.. 1-800-922-0204

Tell them all you did, FDR and cache wipe, they might send u a refurb replacement. They did it for me, twice! And at least the second time I was already out of warranty from motorola.

0 Likes