Re: Bionic, ICS and other complaints.
notarep
Contributor - Level 3

I'd say the primary reason for locked bootloaders is for those who brick the phone because they messed with something and try to sue the company who sold it.

Moto is kinda stingy about their bootloaders, at least htc gives you the option. Custom recovery is the best.

0 Likes
ncoclub
Enthusiast - Level 3

Because of your rudeness I have in mind to post a 500+ word "rant" about how much I love my Droid Bionic!!!!

0 Likes
JavaChips

I will agree for the vast majority of post.  The fault lies though between Moto and Verzion.  Personally what I have noticed becoming a trend is you are starting to buy 'beta' devices/software.  Devices are being released that have a great deal of issues and bugs.  There are some that will even cause a power cycle of the phone...

In terms of unlocking bootloads, Part of the reason they are such a risk is that they are 'locked down'.  If they become open source or an equivalent to, most of the risk will be eliminated.  The reason being is that non-device developers have to in essence, find a  (deleted content to comply with VZW ToS)(brute force) or work around (internal glitch) if order to (deleted content to comply with VZW ToS) devices.

My little bit of the rant will be added as such:

Moto says it will happen then it doesn't.  When they are confronted about it, it's nothing but excuses.  Motorola's construction quality of their devices is drastically declining.  Their promise (as stated by the CEO) of unlocked bootloaders came true.  However, they decided to make people pay for it.  Now you have to pay extra for an entirely different phone in order to have the unlocked bootloader.  As also stated, the Bionic would have an unlocked bootloader, only until later was it released as the 'dev' edition.  This means that if you bought the phone expecting to get it unlocked, you would then have to pay the full 700 something dollars to get the dev unlocked device because you already have the phone you want with an active line (contract).

Verzion is starting to push their customers around more and more, using more and more backdoors in order to get what they want without technically voiding customer contracts...  Prime Examples:

They attempted to add a 'convenience fee' for online phone payments, even though the fact of paying bills online is already saving the company money.  This fell through after another organization called out their bluff saying that they didn't need to raise prices due to their past of expected sales and income.  Once the investigation went though, they terminated the plan of the additional fee.

Now they are at it again with their FiOS service.  If you own FiOS TV you will now have to pay an additional 2.00 a month per cable box.  Even though you are in a contract that locks in your service payments, the box itself that is being rented is not apart of your contract and thus is able to change rates.  This 'backdoor' is now being exploited by Verzion and their response when I personally confronted them about it, is they need to raise the prices to help make sure 'we' the consumer get the best service possible.  Now if you buy this crap, then I ask you continue to live without paying the slightest bit of attention to my post.

My original question regarding the FiOS service...

"What is the point of getting this service with a contract if the prices are going to be raised no matter what?"

All in all, they are starting to push the envelope to far.

</endrant>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
sandw1ch
Enthusiast - Level 1

What he wants is to run ICS. He wants to do it on the Bionic for which he recently indentured himself to Verizon in exchange for the handset subsidy--not on a device for which they demand an additional $700.

Why don't you explain to him how he can do that without an official update or an unlocked bootloader.

Funny how a bunch of know-nothing Pollyannas have no shame about claiming the high ground, telling enthusiasts and advanced users that they don't need what they're agitating for. The sheer George-W-balls-for-brains gall of you people is astonishing.

rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

I too like my Bionic because it is a reliable phone but I would also like to receive the Android 4.0 update/upgraded version of the operating system. All indications are that this will happen sometime before too long, and while I am just an Android enthusiast not a Moto employee, again the circumstances are pointing to a rollout within a couple months or soon thereafter. According to Moto it will be in  Q3 this year, but even after Moto releases it, verizon will get their grubby little hands on it and fill it full of involuntary apps of their choosing. This will take up a little time too,but it is coming as stated by Motorola. I was mad too by the delay, but look ahead and in the future since Google has bought Motorola Mobility, things may change there, I hope G will exert their influence on the product the way they have tried to with the Nexus lines of phones. As always though, the carriers (vz att&t) will super glue the parts they want us to use (bloat apps) in the phones. ICS for Bionic is imminent, the recent .905 minor update is hailed by droid forums as a precursor to ICS. Keep the faith  

0 Likes
ncoclub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got my update (.905) for my Bionic this morning..am looking forward to getting ICS soon..

0 Likes
LBtrw
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is unfortunate that the Bionic didn't get as much love to make up for all the hype that the phone started out with. I guess that's just how it rolls. I do enjoy my Bionic for the most part but do feel let down a bit when it comes to not having ICS a little earlier in the year. I thought the unlocked boot loader was Verizon's choice? I won't lie, I cannot wait until my next "upgrade" is available (hopefully some quad-core phones will be out with Jellybean). Unfortunately I will have to purchase my next phone at full price to keep my unlimited data. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
JT_Drago
Enthusiast - Level 2

We should be getting ICS in Q3 of 2012. It is currently in development.

Source: https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I cann

sandw1ch wrote:

Funny how a bunch of know-nothing Pollyannas have no shame about claiming the high ground, telling enthusiasts and advanced users that they don't need what they're agitating for. The sheer George-W-balls-for-brains gall of you people is astonishing.

I write code and develop apps so your point is so flawed....  Everyone is a "Advance User" these days but until you get to the updates codes your opinion is only from the appearance side of things and in developing that isn't the end card..

Besides I have seen the same complaints travel from of forum to another and also one device thread after another, everyone wants the next update now because its suppose to be so much improved and then the user gets it and they still wont be happy...  This is a ongoing complaint and conversation that never will change.

Next the demand will be for Jelly Bean because it is suppose to perform and improve the device so much more over ICS....  If the software improved performance as much as the previous update the devices would have any room to optimize performance any more...   

Its a marketing ploy to introduce the same OS with miner improvement and a different UI and this doesn't make it better but makes the customer believe it is so they will buy it....  Welcome to the real world..

0 Likes