Battery Pull or Reboot Program/option ?
Fondoquats
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there a "Battery Pull" or "reboot" program? 

I DID in fact research it but everything goes towards the task killer, which I did download it....

Thanks again! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Re: Battery Pull or Reboot Program/option ?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? And I would suggest you don't use a task killer.
0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

theres the hard reboot you can using the battery pull power and volume buttons ...best to get walked through by customer service so they dont try to void your warrenty because of doing it wrong

0 Likes
Fondoquats
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everybody talks great things about "task killer".....why is it bad?

Trying to have it reboot to shut down all applications not in use and to refresh the device. 

My blackberry storm had a "battery pull" program I downloaded from App World. 

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Fondoquats wrote:

Everybody talks great things about "task killer".....why is it bad?

Trying to have it reboot to shut down all applications not in use and to refresh the device. 

My blackberry storm had a "battery pull" program I downloaded from App World. 

It just is a debation. I have never used it. Check out the link below:

http://androidspin.com/2010/05/25/why-you-dont-need-a-task-killer-app-with-android/

I have read though that you don't need task killer if you are running on 2.2

0 Likes
NYsMissingStar
Enthusiast - Level 3

hallcp1019 wrote:

theres the hard reboot you can using the battery pull power and volume buttons ...best to get walked through by customer service so they dont try to void your warrenty because of doing it wrong

does this erase current data on the phone?

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

it wipes contacts and files like pics and ringtones but all that can be backed up to the sd card or if its a droid the gmail backs it up and verizon does have my back ups but say you downloaded something like android 2.2 it would remain on the phone the "soft data" i mentioned will be wiped so make sure you save the things near and dear to you

0 Likes
PacoX
Enthusiast - Level 3
Imo open there is nothing wrong with a task killer if you have it running in the background. Its a quick a clean way to unload apps that have no business running. Sometimes its better that waiting for the 2.1 to decide whether to close an app or not. You close background apps in the background without apps also, just:

Settings > Applications > Manage > Filter Running > Sort > Manually force stop the top 5 apps IF you are not using it.

Not 100% but a think with a factory reset you can keep you music and pics, I personally know music stays. If you a launcher app you can back the settings up on your sd card before a factory reset also.
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
The problem with a task killer is that some apps may just restart cause they aren't finished doing what they were doing. This can actually cause more battery drain and lag, which is what you are trying to avoid in the first place. If something is just sitting in memory, it's not using any resources and will be removed if that memory is needed. Also, if you kill the wrong thing, something else may be affected. IMO, task killers aren't BAD, just unnecessary, especially with the memory management improvements made in froyo.

Back on topic, a battery pull SHOULDN'T affect data or settings or data, and a factory reset SHOULDN'T affect your sd card but, anything hard wired into the os to start on boot will restart anyway.
0 Likes